Car Died

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
I have searched just about every site, and the internet with no avail to my problem. i seen some similar stories but nothing that works.

Was sitting at a red light yesterday. Light turned green, gave it a shot of gas released the clutch, and the cared died. Go to start it again, and it turns over for about three seconds, and fires back up, only for it to die right away again.

First thing we notice on the side of the road is that the CCRM is buzzing quit loud when key is ON. While we wait on the side of the road, we check fuses, relay's and any thing else we can think of. Inertia switch is still down.

Get the car towed home, and first thing we did was pull the CCRM and throw it in a buddy's car, and it works fine in his car, but we put his in mine any how to rule that out. Still buzz's with KEY on.

Next thing we notice is that the fuel pressure is not building with key on, but just jumping around from 0-5PSI. We hooked 12V direct to Fuel pump, and it spins fine, and builds pressure. (pump fine). BUT when we unhook the Fuel pump or hooked it straight up to the 12V the CCRM would quit buzzing, but car still would not start.

We then check an injector plug to see if it is trying to fire an injector, which it is not, no power at the injectors.

Couple other key points:
Key on, my TACH bounces around a tiny bit.
Trying to stat the car, TACH jumps to 6000RPM.
Plug my SCT XCAL in, to get DTC, when i turn key on, XCAL goes dead. Same if i try to reflash the computer.
"THEFT" light flashes rapidly with key ON. (Ford guy said to leave battery unhooked for five minutes to try to reset PAT. did not work)
Engine fan is on all the time with key ON.

I think that is all.

What might it be?

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Can you data log the ECM and see what ECT the computer thinks it is at? I need to check my data but I think there is a table that will not let the car start if the ECM thinks it is to hot. Not sure I am at work and all my data is at the house. Maybe someone else can chime in and check my math.

You might also want to start checking all your grounds and the charging system. Some of what you say could be voltage issues.

Last edited:

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
Can you data log the ECM and see what ECT the computer thinks it is at? I need to check my data but I think there is a table that will not let the car start if the ECM thinks it is to hot. Not sure I am at work and all my data is at the house. Maybe someone else can chime in and check my math.

You might also want to start checking all your grounds and the charging system. Some of what you say could be voltage issues.

Log ECM? That teh same as Data logging with my Xcal?
If so, it goes dead as soon as i hit the key to on.

have a friend that you can swap computers with?

Nope, i don't. all 5.0 guys

Last edited:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
This is one of the things that points to the electrical. Check all of your grounds. Something is wrong with +or- of the power system.

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
reluctor ring how long has the motor been running since the build.
this is probably the third year. maybe 2000 miles on it since.
This is one of the things that points to the electrical. Check all of your grounds. Something is wrong with +or- of the power system.

that's what we were thinking as well, We have tried loads of stuff, but keep coming back empty handed.:shrug:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I can talk you through Fords Diag for your symptoms but to much stuff for typing. PM me a number and I will see if any of this will help.

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
Turns out it was the ground wire going to the CCRM.

Thanks again guys for all your tips and suggestions!

I can talk you through Fords Diag for your symptoms but to much stuff for typing. PM me a number and I will see if any of this will help.
Thanks any how, but we got her going.:banana::thumbsup:

svtguy0093

Established Member
My 96 just did the same thing. My car was poppin maxi fuses. So i changed my ccrm and that took care of that. Also checked my ECU and it was fine.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
the ccrm is located in the passenger fender. if you look into the hole for your intake/air filter, you can see it. little black box with some blue on it.

Users who are viewing this thread