Car cutting out

del cavazos

Established Member
I hope someone can give me an answer. My car seems to be running fine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd all the way to the redline. Once I get into 4th gear at about 6200 rpm it starts to cut out as if it was governed. It just started doing this this past weekend, up until then I could almost redline 4th gear up until 6800 at which time I would let off, which my speedo would show about 158 mph. I am told it could possibly be the fuel filter, but I am not too sure. I'm hoping someone here has a fix it to this. Hopefully it is the fuel filter. Any advice would be helpful. Where do I start?

Taz

Established Member
Could be any number of things, including nothing more than just a tank of bad gas. I'd start by just avoiding that cutout condition until the tank's been used up and refilled. Then, try it again and see if the problem goes away after 30-50 miles on the fresh gas.

If you really are running into a fuel starvation situation due to a clogged filter, you definitely don't want to be getting into that situation. You could hole a piston by going lean at that RPM.

T-

:coolman:

candy99

Established Member
dam ive never gotten my car up that high highest ive ever been is 120 mph and i let off cause it started to vibrate...

silverbulletsvt

Established Member
our cars have a 150 mph fuel shut off maybe you hit it cause i know the speedo is off some , unless you have a aftermarket chip ????????????? other then that i dont know

del cavazos

Established Member
Hey Taz, it might've been some bad gas. Car ran fine last night. I Have 32K on car so it's probably due for a fuel filter change anyway. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread