Car Cruise Trajedy

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Saturday I was on a car cruise with my g/f's exotic car club.

The car in front of me lost control due to driver error and slid down an 8' embankment and rolled over twice before coming to a rest.

The car was demolished and the driver was bleeding from the head and slipping out of consciousness.

We were on the winding roads of Mt. Palomar (by Temecula). It took an ambulance almost half an hour to arrive because of the remote location.

Road conditions were crappy...rain-slick, foggy, and drizzling. We were travelling slowly and cautiously. However, it was a combination of gross driver negligence that caused this mishap (late turn-in, bad line, etc., etc.).

From witnessing this accident develop, it's clear to me the driver's skills did not match the capabilities of his vehicle. Just because he drove an exotic, did not mean he was an exotic driver.

Pictures were taken, but will only be posted at the permission of the driver that crashed.

We think these things can never happen to us, but this was a painful reminder that they can and do. I cringe at the thought of rolling my 'vert.

Let's be careful out there!

haha, I used to live in Valley Center, Id race my buddies riding up Palomar. Scary ass mountain road. Ive been riding up there my whole life, luckily none of my accidents were serious

crazy!

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Thanks for sharing!!

A good wake up call for those that get a little too over-confidant or try and keep up with the person in front of you.

About 5 years ago I let pride get in the way of my Cobra’s and my personal ability to match the twisties with a Modded BMW M3 in front of me. The result was two 360’s before coming to a stop “”five feet away from an open 300 foot+ drop”” on the side of a mountain road!

Hope the driver comes out of it in good health

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
OCSnk said:
Thanks for sharing!!

Hope the driver comes out of it in good health

The driver is reported to have stitches in his head, some body aches and bruises. Otherwise he is okay.

His car did not fare so well...for one, we found the grill in a nearby tree.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
RedfireVert said:
The driver is reported to have stitches in his head, some body aches and bruises. Otherwise he is okay.

Good to hear!!

His car did not fare so well...for one, we found the grill in a nearby tree.

What kind of car?

COBRASVT

Established Member
Glad he's ok. Post the pics...they are copyrighted to you anyway and he wrecked in public.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
COBRASVT said:
Glad he's ok. Post the pics...they are copyrighted to you anyway and he wrecked in public.

I think he is not posting them out of respect, which he may be concerned that owner might not want those pictures on the net. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Out of respect for the driver they won't be posted until he gives the okay. In addition, we don't want his insurance company to pursue the organizers of the run...which includes my g/f...

So if I were the one to "kill Kenny", I would certainly get cut off...

Last edited:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
stang99svt said:
Why would an exotic car club go driving in such bad conditions to begin with?

Reasonable question!

The organizers postponed this cruise four times due to bad weather. They'd schedule the cruise...then it would rain. It was comical.

Finally the organizers said "F*** it...we're gonna run this cruise and whoever shows, shows."

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
RedfireVert said:
Reasonable question!

The organizers postponed this cruise four times due to bad weather. They'd schedule the cruise...then it would rain. It was comical.

Finally the organizers said "F*** it...we're gonna run this cruise and whoever shows, shows."

I guess they won't be doing that again eh?

Chameleon

Established Member
Palomar Mountain is one of the twisty roads that I like to drive. You have to be VERY careful driving it (obviously). The road has a lot of blind turns, a few off camber corners and many corners that both become tighter as you enter the corner and where the camber changes significantly through the corner. All of which makes for strange weight transfers through the corner. On top of that add Crotch Rockets passing you on both the inside and outside of the corner.

Not a good place to play weekend racer.

I hope the guy is OK. As you said driving an exotic vehicle does not make someone a good driver.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
00sVt Lightning said:
that sucks...what kinda cars?

Can't provide a lot of detail for reasons mentioned above. As promised, I will post pics if and when this situation blows over.

Last edited:

Rochard

Established Member
If the weather was bad it should have been called off. I've never gone out with the local Mustang club here in Phoenix, but I do ride with a group of sport bikes. If the weather "might" be bad we call it off. It's different with motorcycles, but the same rules apply.

Users who are viewing this thread