Car COMPLETELY dead, but battery is fine..what gives?

Eval95

Established Member
So I walk out to the car this morning. I turn off the alarm like normal (Ford Stock alarm) and get in the car. All lights (dome) and accessory panel works just fine...but the moment I put the key in the ignition and turn it all the way to fire up the car.... everything completely died. When I mean died, I mean nothing worked, from lights to hazards.

The car wouldn't make a sound like it was trying to turn over, the hazard lights didn't work, the dome night, nothing...completely dead. I know when it's the battery you at least get a clicking sound, and some things work, but everything was gone. The fact that the hazard lights didn't work showed me it was more than battery. So I went and tested the voltage on the battery..12.6 volts sitting still. Went to check if something was draining...neg voltage meter on battery , tip on positive terminal...no drain.

I then thought I would reset the computer, thinking it was locking out the car with the 'theft' device is has from the factory. I unplug the battery, replug it. I go and turn the key for accessories and the car fires right up. Now it turns on and off consistently like it never happened.

What gives? Is this something I should be worried about or a glitch?

Eval95

Established Member
Well I fixed it but the needles still act very weird

Well, fixed it in regards to the car actually starting up :bash:

The needles worry me though, anyone experience the needles dancing around like that upon starting up the car?

Last edited:

Slo-Vert

Established Member
If the needles go all the way up and back down you need a new battery. That ones damn near done.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
i would check the cable going from the starter to the battery. Recently i was at a gas station, pulled in to get gas, and when i tried starting up it sounded like the starter was fried. Towed it to my mechanic and he said that the wire going from the starter to the battery shorted out.

Eval95

Established Member
Well damn.....if I follow the cable to the starter, what good can I do on my own? If it's about the die, I can't avoid it, can I?

So even if the voltage reads fine, the battery may still be dead for powering up?

Now this is what happened. Had the issue again, and I disconnected the negative terminal and reconnected it and the car fired up...why would that be with a bad battery? The battery is a few years old at least. It was my wife's car and I have been with her 2 years...so at least 2 years old, more like 3+

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Well damn.....if I follow the cable to the starter, what good can I do on my own? If it's about the die, I can't avoid it, can I?

So even if the voltage reads fine, the battery may still be dead for powering up?

Now this is what happened. Had the issue again, and I disconnected the negative terminal and reconnected it and the car fired up...why would that be with a bad battery? The battery is a few years old at least. It was my wife's car and I have been with her 2 years...so at least 2 years old, more like 3+

Sounds like a loose negative cable. Could be the post on the batter, the cable it self, or a connection along the cable.

It's 3+ yrs old...I'd simply start with a new battery. It's about time to change it anyway. Mine as well eliminate that possibility. Trying to diagnose this stuff with an 'out dated' battery isnt' a good idea, IMO.

Eval95

Established Member
I guess you are right, just didn't want to bite the bullet of another expense when it may not be needed at this point. But you are correct, after 3+ years of a battery, and driving the car daily, it's about time to get a new one. Then I can all together eliminate it as a problem AND have a new battery for the car if it's just a terminal cable.

Some said to take the battery to get it load tested?

Slo-Vert

Established Member
My car had dancing gauges and it read a full charge also...I figured it was a fluke... That is untill a week later when my ass was stuck at work with a dead battery :(

Eval95

Established Member
Hmmm many say battery, many say negative cable :( I don't want to spend on something that isn't wrong. How can I eliminate one?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Hmmm many say battery, many say negative cable :( I don't want to spend on something that isn't wrong. How can I eliminate one?

Take the battery in and have it tested. They can tell you the CCA/A's and tell you if they're low. If you can, I'd go ahead with the $75 and get it. The terminal on teh battery could be loose, the cable could be, but most likely it's a battery on its way out. you can take a look at all the cables after you have the batter checked, or when you take it out to insure the negative it good and tight.

I've changed many of batteries and have seen a few like this. Most were batteries on their way out for one reason or another. One I can recall had a slight bubbling (we all know what that is) and which in turn caused the termin. post to be offset/loosened.

Eval95

Established Member
Take the battery in and have it tested. They can tell you the CCA/A's and tell you if they're low. If you can, I'd go ahead with the $75 and get it. The terminal on teh battery could be loose, the cable could be, but most likely it's a battery on its way out. you can take a look at all the cables after you have the batter checked, or when you take it out to insure the negative it good and tight.

I've changed many of batteries and have seen a few like this. Most were batteries on their way out for one reason or another. One I can recall had a slight bubbling (we all know what that is) and which in turn caused the termin. post to be offset/loosened.

Ok, I am going to pull it out and have it load tested. Hopefully they do it at Autozone, if not maybe Pepboys. Can anyone verify that they do this and for free? If they say it's low, no doubt I will get a new battery though.

But if it is the battery why is it that I can unplug and replug the neg. cable and the car fires up? Unplugging it doesn't raise the CCA right?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Ok, I am going to pull it out and have it load tested. Hopefully they do it at Autozone, if not maybe Pepboys. Can anyone verify that they do this and for free? If they say it's low, no doubt I will get a new battery though.

But if it is the battery why is it that I can unplug and replug the neg. cable and the car fires up? Unplugging it doesn't raise the CCA right?

I know autozone does it....at least the two we have here. Double checking only takes but 30 minutes tops (pending driving time...LOL).

IDK why it fires up, and no it doesn't raise CCA. The more you crank it, the lower the juice though. Are the terminals and cables clean? Maybe they are just old and have a bad contact point or are just dirty.

You have to start somewhere. tossing back and forth wont' solve anything. Electrical issues can be tough and luckily you have it somewhat narrowed down....somewhat. So, start with having it tested and we can go from there.

Oh, and yes it's free, at least it used to be.

Eval95

Established Member
I know autozone does it....at least the two we have here. Double checking only takes but 30 minutes tops (pending driving time...LOL).

IDK why it fires up, and no it doesn't raise CCA. The more you crank it, the lower the juice though. Are the terminals and cables clean? Maybe they are just old and have a bad contact point or are just dirty.

You have to start somewhere. tossing back and forth wont' solve anything. Electrical issues can be tough and luckily you have it somewhat narrowed down....somewhat. So, start with having it tested and we can go from there.

Oh, and yes it's free, at least it used to be.

Yeah the fact that I disconnect and reconnect and it fires up worries me to think it's something with the computer in regards to it being reset and allowing the car to turn on.

Eval95

Established Member
OK I took the battery out, and took it to Autozone.

They put it on one tester and it checked out as "Good Battery" but the guy said he didn't like that tester so he put it on what he deemed his 'better' tester.

Went through it's cycle and final reading, "Recharge and Retest" so perhaps it was more accurate. They are going to charge it up and I will go back in 30 min to 1 hr and they are going to retest it. If it checks out, great, if not, I exchange for a new one :)

On top of that, while I was at it, I can a bristle brush and cleaner, scrubbed the terminals links and sprayed them with the cleaner. So I know the ends are 'like new' now, so let's hope the battery solves our issue. Well if the battery checks out and I cleaned the terminal ends, let's hope that fixed our issue!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
OK I took the battery out, and took it to Autozone.

They put it on one tester and it checked out as "Good Battery" but the guy said he didn't like that tester so he put it on what he deemed his 'better' tester.

Went through it's cycle and final reading, "Recharge and Retest" so perhaps it was more accurate. They are going to charge it up and I will go back in 30 min to 1 hr and they are going to retest it. If it checks out, great, if not, I exchange for a new one :)

On top of that, while I was at it, I can a bristle brush and cleaner, scrubbed the terminals links and sprayed them with the cleaner. So I know the ends are 'like new' now, so let's hope the battery solves our issue. Well if the battery checks out and I cleaned the terminal ends, let's hope that fixed our issue!
ANything new?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread