Car brushes, are they better than the sponge or wool mitt?

silverstang84

Established Member
Hey guys. I've had a soft car wash brush with about a 3' handle that I've been washing the cars with for a little while. My wife bought a 2014 Honda CRV yesterday and it got me to thinking.... What's the best tool to scrub a car with?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Lot's of people use microfiber mitts. I have one and it's OK, but I decided to try a opti mitt after reading about them. Got it but haven't used it yet. It seems pretty stiff but soft at the same time. The PO of my car used some sort of brush and my car has very light scratching - you can't even see it in daylight, only in the garage using a flashlight. I'm sure it can be machined out, but no brushes for me.

Electrokid

Established Member
I have heard nothing but awesome reviews about Lake Country's new gold foam wash sponge. I have not tried one myself yet, but I think I will order one for when Spring comes around.
IMG_8420.JPG

oldmodman

Established Member
No.

I have never seen a brush of ANY kind that didn't put some micro-marring into the paint.

My personal favorite are the wool mitts. I use the Wookies Fist. But they do requite some attention when drying them and a brush out afterwards.

Allan Byrd

Established Member
I made a post a while back asking if anyone used brushes, if so which were good ones. I used them for a long time. I had recently bought a 2012 Shelby with very low miles, and just wanted to make sure it was safe to use them. I was assured that it would scratch my car. I had already washed my car about 6 or 7 times with it. I am not sure if it was the brush I used, or it could have happened prior to me owning the car. But if you take a light and shine it on the car at night time, you can definitely see some light scratches in the clear coat. I use the brushes on my boat, but that is it. No more on my car. Hope this helps you.

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
lambs wool + foam wand + rinse bucket will net the best results.

Unless technology has changed in the last 5 years 99% of high end detailers will use lambs wool.

FCCS

All available staff......
Established Member
Griots Garage offers a brush made of Boars hair for $60. Anyone have or used one? Sorry, no pic on-file to share.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Something decent enough and a polisher

That'll work better than anything :) You're going to get micro marring no matter what

SON1C

Established Member
the key is proper technique, no material can render your paint swirlvincible
brushes are typically the most dangerous

I personally use a combination of microfiber mitts, chenille pads, brushes (for crevices) and microfiber towels (crevices and wheels)

quality lubricating soap will aid, also consider a pre wash product like autofinesse citrus power to take out some grime and gunk prior to ever touching the paint which could induce swirls scratches etc

link to recent review I created on citrus power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0mmr8RTun0

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Really? How so?

Some tends to be rougher on soft paint (i.e. Grabber Blue). I've used Wally World microfibers forever and never had any issues but when I bought my Boss, even the medium level MF's from Autogeek left marks. I had just buffed the car out with compound and finishing glaze and was on the final wax stage.

IMO it's more the paint than the actual towel.

OP...just thinking of using a brush makes chills run down my spine. I use a chenille mit. Just use a sep bucket and mitt for wheels each time and you will be fine.

powerman

Established Member
I think its more or the prep and rinse off before you even start washing your car makes more of a difference. No matter what you use if there is any dirt left on your car, fine scratches will be in your paint , there is no way around it. Mits, sponges and brushes will trap fine dirt in them and will scratch your car. From time to time you have to buff and polish and start over with polishing your car.. People with black cars or real dark colored cars need to do it more often that people with light colored cars. The only way around it is to leave your car in the garage with a cover on it.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Some tends to be rougher on soft paint (i.e. Grabber Blue). I've used Wally World microfibers forever and never had any issues but when I bought my Boss, even the medium level MF's from Autogeek left marks. I had just buffed the car out with compound and finishing glaze and was on the final wax stage.

OP...just thinking of using a brush makes chills run down my spine. I use a chenille mit. Just use a sep bucket and mitt for wheels each time and you will be fine.

I completely disagree. While some paints are softer then others. I can tell you i have NEVER seen a good mf towel from wally world. they will mar your paint terribly.

I think its more or the prep and rinse off before you even start washing your car makes more of a difference. No matter what you use if there is any dirt left on your car, fine scratches will be in your paint , there is no way around it. Mits, sponges and brushes will trap fine dirt in them and will scratch your car. From time to time you have to buff and polish and start over with polishing your car.. People with black cars or real dark colored cars need to do it more often that people with light colored cars. The only way around it is to leave your car in the garage with a cover on it.

I agree make sure the car is rinsed off good before you even lay a brush or mitt on it.

Also make sure you use a soap that wont strip your protection off of car

OP here is what i use

Wool Mitt- http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-Genuine-Wool-Wash-Mitt-V2_p_515.html

Drying towel- http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-Super-Drying-Microfiber-Towel_p_516.html

Detail MF- http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-Quick-Detail-Microfiber-Towel_p_573.html

I use older detailing mf for wheels and jams, engine etc etc

Electrokid

Established Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that Grabber Blue paint is waaaaay too soft. Everything and anything seems to put marring into it.

Zemedici

Established Member
lambs wool + foam wand + rinse bucket will net the best results.

Unless technology has changed in the last 5 years 99% of high end detailers will use lambs wool.

uhm what?

Something decent enough and a polisher

That'll work better than anything :) You're going to get micro marring no matter what

:beer:

the key is proper technique, no material can render your paint swirlvincible
brushes are typically the most dangerous

I personally use a combination of microfiber mitts, chenille pads, brushes (for crevices) and microfiber towels (crevices and wheels)

quality lubricating soap will aid, also consider a pre wash product like autofinesse citrus power to take out some grime and gunk prior to ever touching the paint which could induce swirls scratches etc

link to recent review I created on citrus power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0mmr8RTun0

:beer:

The ONLY way to keep from scratching your paint is to use a touch free wash, ie bug remover and pressure washer (of course not on turbo setting). Everything else will scratch the paint. Best bet is the old 2 bucket method, or to have a grit guard in the bottom of your bucket. Mitts work well, brushes will be harsher.

Users who are viewing this thread