Car Audio Question

FLeuRy

Established Member
Well i dont know much about cars yet but im hoping to learn

I just installed all new speakers in my grand am. I bought alpines cause ive heard they are really good and the ones i bought i listened to and they sounded good. Anyways i installed htem in my car and they sound better than my old ones but once i hit a certain level they sound like shit just like my old ones. Old ones could hit 18 on my cd deck before sounding like shit. New ones can hit 22/23. The front speakers are geared for 200 watts and my rears are geared for 250. My deck is only a 4x50 watt ouput so my speakers should be able to handle the dekc shouldnt they?

my question is could it be wires or something other than just the speakers that is making them not b able 2 go up any louder?

Also i duno if this is any1's thing here cause im new but could you recommend an amp and subwoofers that are fairly cheap but good quality?

holtsch

Established Member
Your speakers are underpowered for one. I'd rather have my speakers overpowered than underpowered. Also, what do you have your gains set at? Start playing your stereo on the normal volume you have it and adjust your gains properly so it sounds best at that volume, going above that volume will cause your speakers to distort and your amps will begin to clip.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I agree. Aftermarket speakers aren't gonna be any kind of impressive unless you give em some extra power.

bp03svt

Established Member
FLeuRy said:
like what you mean more power???

im sorry i dont knw much abuot anything with cars hahaha

He means adding a four channel amp to your speakers. Your deck is only putting out about 20 or so watts rms. 50 watts is peak power and you should never go by this rating, because it's not constant. The reason your speakers are sounding like shit at high volume is because you have the bass on your head unit too high. Try turning down the bass all the way with your volume as high as you'll likely ever have it. Then add one level more of bass until it distorts. Then back it off until it is clear again.

You can blow any speaker by putting too little power to it and trying to make it reproduce frequencies it was never designed for (bass).

The key to a good sounding system is to have certain speakers produce certain frequences. Tweeters for highs, 5 1/4-----6X9's for mids and 8 inch through 15 inch for bass.

A good cheap amp worth looking at is Profile. Just about every speaker company makes entry level subs for a cheap price.

Hope this helps bro, now go out and piss your neighbors off LOL. :beer:

Last edited:

FLeuRy

Established Member
Thanks, that explains alot to me right there

Now that i have a lil cash saved up ima have to look into those subs

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
What year is your Grand Am? The reason I ask, is because some of the newer one's have a factory amp, especially, if you have a factory upgraded sound system. If your speakers are getting distorted without really cranking them up, your getting to much to them from the factory anp. You may need to bypass it, in order to get some clean sound out of it. PM me if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread