Car audio guys help pick subwoofer

Spoolx

Established Member
I have the 600.1 amplifier and my speaker shit the bed, can anyone tell me what speaker I should get?
I have a sealed box that's a little over 1 cubic foot of space.

Thanks
22099572.png

Coiled03

Established Member
1 ft^3? Jesus, you'd better be looking at something like solobarics. That's freakin' tiny.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
sundown sd12, sundown sa12, ssa gcon 10, dc level 2 12, audioque sdc2.5 10, ia lethal injection 10. Any of them would shit on most mainstream brands imo

bumplime

Established Member
Why not replace it with the same sub. The box is already built to spec right? Jbl p1222 would fit the box.
Why not I into your local audio shop and ask them what will work best with your amp and box. There are so many subs out that you could
Look for days

CBrowning84

Established Member
sundown sd12, sundown sa12, ssa gcon 10, dc level 2 12, audioque sdc2.5 10, ia lethal injection 10. Any of them would shit on most mainstream brands imo

+1

Also TC Sounds is a great brand too. They used to be the buildhouse for Eclipse but branched out on their own.

What is your budget? What size sub is that box for?

jrandy

Established Member

all good recommendations. Mark at SSA is a great guy...

the only other brand to look into other than what was listed would be RE Audio.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an alpine 12" with a fairly small box in the trunk and it sounds really nice. Clean and crisp without that overpowering bass.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I just swapped out my nearly new Dayton Audio 12" HO DVC sub for a Image Dynamics sub since it works better in my ported enclosure. The Dayton sub is ideal in a super small enclosure and is pretty well recommended over on DIYMA. Would be willing to let it go pretty cheap if you're interested. Has all the original packaging, etc. Only used it for a couple weeks.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer.html

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
all good recommendations. Mark at SSA is a great guy...

the only other brand to look into other than what was listed would be RE Audio.

I've heard RE has gone downhill. I ran their stuff about 6 years ago, and they sounded awesome, but when the sold the company i've heard a lot of negative stuff about them.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
whats overpowering bass?
vid of my truck ;-) builds still not done

th_MAH00016.jpg

Exactly what it says, when the bass overpowers the rest of the audio and you hear nothing but boom boom boom.

I've had my share of rediculous subwoofer setups, and now i'm satisfied with a well-balanced system. :beer:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
What are your goals and what's your budget?

What's your setup??

I dont even remember the specifics...Alpine headunit(mid-range, not the bottom dollar), Alpine 800w amp(bridged?) and Alpine Type R 12" sub in a trunk box. The cabin speakers sound excellent when I got the car, I believe the factory harmon kardon's have been upgraded to something else so I didnt even mess with them. Not the loudest by any means, but my car is sealed well enough(at least for a 12yo bmw) that loud as hell in the cabin cant even be heard outside of it.

jrandy

Established Member
I've heard RE has gone downhill. I ran their stuff about 6 years ago, and they sounded awesome, but when the sold the company i've heard a lot of negative stuff about them.

Crap... good catch. RE was Scott's old company, and yes, it has gone down hill.

His new company is Fi Audio.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Crap... good catch. RE was Scott's old company, and yes, it has gone down hill.

His new company is Fi Audio.

Yup. I remember going in there when I still lived in Vegas; cool guys there. I had David build my system in my old 99 Cobra. Sounded amazing.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Well when the OP post up, I'll help lol. No point until we've got a budget and goals.

One of my top options would be to go IB and use an AE ib15 or sbp15. John is starting to get the materials again for them. Superb low end extension, minimal power requirements to hit xmax/xmech, VERY low distortion and inductance, low Q (which I prefer) and the fact that it takes up hardly any room. I'll probably go with 2 of their newer ib15's once I'm done playing with the IDmax

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread