Car and Driver

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Not 100% related to the Cobra, but there is an excellent article on the MACH 1 in C&D. A shoot out of 4 35,000 coupes.
Mach 1 takes 2nd behind the new 350Z.

Quote, "Drop the hammer and with no especially refined technique, 60 MPH is yours in a scalding 5.2 seconds, just .07 seconds behind a 34,730 SVT Cobra"

kino

Established Member
I have that issue. Its a great issue,marred only by Car&Driver quirks.
I loved seeing the Mach 1 being compared and I'm very impressed on how the car did; however, when on the cover, its says "$35,000 Coupes," and the Mach 1 was $29,000. I felt the 03 Cobra should have been compared instead but then the winning car, 350Z, would have gotten devastated. To me the comparison test winner was chosen long before the comparison took place.
They showed way too much anti-mustang bias to me, especially with the talk of how the only time the mustang did a 2nd place finish in a comparo was against a Camaro and they were only 2 cars being compared but left out the 2nd place finish the mustang did in one of their comparos 6 months ago. Consistency is not their strong suit.
On a different note, I loved the 03 Lincoln Navigator and 03 Lincoln LS V8.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by kino
I loved seeing the Mach 1 being compared and I'm very impressed on how the car did; however, when on the cover, its says "$35,000 Coupes," and the Mach 1 was $29,000. I felt the 03 Cobra should have been compared instead but then the winning car, 350Z, would have gotten devastated. To me the comparison test winner was chosen long before the comparison took place.
They showed way too much anti-mustang bias to me, especially with the talk of how the only time the mustang did a 2nd place finish in a comparo was against a Camaro and they were only 2 cars being compared but left out the 2nd place finish the mustang did in one of their comparos 6 months ago. Consistency is not their strong suit.

Exactly. Car and Driver are worthless. Glad I never paid for that subscription I have. And the one to Road and Track. And Motor Trend. And Entertainment Weekly. And Automobile. And a bunch of other ones that Publishers Clearing House wishes they hadn't sent.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Mach 1 takes 2nd behind the new 350Z.

I agree. The 350Z is compact and has a roomy, ergonomic interior. Great as a daily driver in LA. Made me think twice about picking up the relatively tedious '03. I am going to try to convince my sister to pick one up...

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
I like the other version of the z, the G35 coupe. Have only seen the z live.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
If I was ONLY basing the choice on the cars capabilities without any personal preference, I'd also take the 350Z. That car is pretty impressive for the price. But being a MUSTANG fan, the decision would be the Mach 1.

I also agree they should have put the Cobra in the mix. It would have placed #1. My guess this is WHY they did not. C&D learns towards the imports.

But it was good to see the STANG get some good recognition...

ZXnVS

Established Member
The Cobra will have to be in their $50,000 sport coupe comparo; it would have blown all these cars off the track.

What cracked me up was how they raved about the "styling" of the TT and the 350Z. The former looks like a VW beetle that someone stepped on, and the latter looks like a soap bar. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me those cars are both butt ugly.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
The Cobra will have to be in their $50,000 sport coupe comparo; it would have blown all these cars off the track.

What cracked me up was how they raved about the "styling" of the TT and the 350Z. The former looks like a VW beetle that someone stepped on, and the latter looks like a soap bar. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me those cars are both butt ugly.
I could not agree more (to both statements)...:thumbsup:

01blkcovert

Established Member
Originally posted by kino

I was thinking the same thing. Shoulda been the Snake in this test. I'm gonna write to them and ask why they didn't. Don't expect an answer though.

DaveSVT03

Established Member
While the Z is a great car, I agree it was rigged. For the same money as the Z, the Cobra would've killed the Z in every performace category. U know they had to have considered the Cobra and thought, naw we don't want a Mustang to win :burn:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
The comparison is fair. Price notwithstanding, you have to compare apples and apples here. The '03 Cobra is in the C5 category. I would rather be in the last place position of a higher bracket than the top of lower one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread