Car and Driver tests GT500. Runs 11.4@132...

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I never even bothered to run my Redeye on the stock tires.

I took the factory reproduction wheels with drag radials from my old 16, put them on the Redeye and proceeded to run between 132-134 on my, thus far, only trip to the track with it. With the exception of the wheels/tires it was stock to the filter. (No skinnies up front or any of that nonsense.....)

My 16 hellcat ran the same traps (124-127) on the stock pirellis as it did on the drag radials. ET’s & 60’s we’re considerably quicker though. And conditions were very similar (DA’s in the 100-300’ range).

And in all three scenarios my fastest traps happened with my slowest 60’s and vice versa.

But I tend to think that had to do with heat soak as my 60’s are always worse on my first couple passes until I get a feel for the tree and by then the motor is hot(ter).

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gofast15

Established Member
My GTR usually had higher trap if launched harder .car # 442

20160711_150929.jpg

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Cliffs?

I talk a lot.

It mostly all makes sense, especially to me.

Geoffrey Epstein didn’t kill himself.

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, let’s break out the beer

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
These have been disqualified from the discussion as per zborg since they aren’t “street legal.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your discussion with me, is totally separate from yours and PIPO’s.

I could give a shit about a MOPAR Track Pack car. But PIPO does and just killed your argument about the CJ.

Nice try, tho! Lol

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
your discussion with me, is totally separate from yours and PIPO’s.

I could give a shit about a MOPAR Track Pack car. But PIPO does and just killed your argument about the CJ.

Nice try, tho! Lol

I decide what facts to acknowledge and ignore. I’m trolling here NOT YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirhc7897

Established Member
My GTR usually had higher trap if launched harder .car # 442

View attachment 1614088

Ok see....looking at your rpms I think that’s what’s getting missed here.

Even on a set of drag radials you can still only launch a Hellcat/Redeye at or less than 2k rpms (without either spinning or grenading the rear dif).

Maybe it would trap considerably higher if you could launch at a much higher rpm but you just can’t. You just don’t get that “cats paint” affect of suddenly coming off the line thousands of rpms higher than you do on the stock rubber.

The widebody can launch a little higher as it’ll handle more tire but it come at the penalty of more drag on the big end robbing mph....

I can’t even imagine being able to launch at 2,500 rpms....much less 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I never even bothered to run my Redeye on the stock tires.

I took the factory reproduction wheels with drag radials from my old 16, put them on the Redeye and proceeded to run between 132-134 on my, thus far, only trip to the track with it. With the exception of the wheels/tires it was stock to the filter. (No skinnies up front or any of that nonsense.....)

My 16 hellcat ran the same traps (124-127) on the stock pirellis as it did on the drag radials. ET’s & 60’s we’re considerably quicker though. And conditions were very similar (DA’s in the 100-300’ range).

And in all three scenarios my fastest traps happened with my slowest 60’s and vice versa.

But I tend to think that had to do with heat soak as my 60’s are always worse on my first couple passes until I get a feel for the tree and by then the motor is hot(ter).

For shits and giggles, are you near a track you could still throw on the pirellis and try a few runs this year? It’s 25° here hahaha our shits closed/done for.

But if you can, try it and see what it does, I’d be astonished if you got a 132+ trap with them.

Heat soak and ambient conditions make a big difference, I personally lose 5-10mph depending on the time of the year. Mid summer my setup sits around 75-90° iat’s but late fall early spring or clear winter days my car feels like it picks up 100whp. I don’t think I could trap maybe 130 on like a normal street performance tire.

I’m a big fan of hellcats in general. I think they are the spiritual successor to 03/04 cobras as in an overpowered competent enough attitude issue big potential enjoyable drivable car at reasonable prices.

You can buy and enjoy a hellcat or redeye for less money, and go just about as fast as anything in a straight line, and they are good enough in city and back road twisties to run at double the speed limit just fine.

Unless yer a ****ing loon like me trying to go 150 on back roads, hellcats have enough handling to do fine in 95% of people commutes and street activities. (which you probably still can do 150+ on back roads in a hellcat but I’ve never tried haha)

BrianSpilner

Established Member
Drag radials will help you 60ft much better, and at a high rate of speed. If you pick up 1-2-3mph in the 1st 60ft, do you think that somehow falls back off by the 1/4 mike?

Math says it will lead to a linear progression of gaining speed. You will already be at a higher speed by the 60ft mark of 1-2mph. As you accelerate from there forward at the slightly higher rate of speed, by the 1260ft later you will be likely traveling an additional 2-3mph faster.

Most stock tested red eyes trap 125-130. All variables in, 127. You’re trapping 132-134. Congrats, your drag radials were a good purchase, enjoy.

An 800hp car on sporty all season tires will trap 3-5mph lower than when it’s on drag radials. Going from a 2.0 to a 1.7 60ft does amazing things.

Yes, when the spin unwinds from a looser tire you do pick up a few mph, and yes, going from a decent tire to a sticky tire may actually reduce speed (almost entirely because bias ply wrinkle wall slicks grow taller as you reach higher speed), but in this case, going from a ho hum (crappy) factory tire to a drag radial, you just get to give the car the business much sooner.

In before @blk02edge sayz FORTZA!!!
What? My non-RE Hellcat trapped 125...
Also, using a DR does not automatically mean you trap higher. Never added any MPH to several of my cars I raced over the years.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What? My non-RE Hellcat trapped 125...
Also, using a DR does not automatically mean you trap higher. Never added any MPH to several of my cars I raced over the years.

Brian spilner, that a serial killer name? (Bad fast and furious joke)

But honestly I don’t care if you haven’t. I and many have. If you aren’t getting more mph on the back end with a drag radial, yer shifting is bad, yer launch is bad, yer atmospheric conditions changed, yer car needs plugs or has issues, the full moon is out, Bono stopped singing for U2, Dave Shapel sold you a dream you couldn’t afford or maybe god intervened

But Jeff didn’t kill himself and this case is proven closed.

Results will vary but quicker 60ft gives the potential, legally and naturally, to trap faster and quicker

gofast15

Established Member
Ok see....looking at your rpms I think that’s what’s getting missed here.

Even on a set of drag radials you can still only launch a Hellcat/Redeye at or less than 2k rpms (without either spinning or grenading the rear dif).

Maybe it would trap considerably higher if you could launch at a much higher rpm but you just can’t. You just don’t get that “cats paint” affect of suddenly coming off the line thousands of rpms higher than you do on the stock rubber.

The widebody can launch a little higher as it’ll handle more tire but it come at the penalty of more drag on the big end robbing mph....

I can’t even imagine being able to launch at 2,500 rpms....much less 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
6 cylinder turbo car with a clutch needs rpms to get out of the whole . Converter works completely different then a clutch . Launching auto hellcat at 2000rpms will have way better 60' then launching manual Hellcat at 2000rpms. Both cars without traction issues

Sirhc7897

Established Member
For shits and giggles, are you near a track you could still throw on the pirellis and try a few runs this year? It’s 25° here hahaha our shits closed/done for.

But if you can, try it and see what it does, I’d be astonished if you got a 132+ trap with them.

Several of us are supposed to go to SGMP on the 20th. I may throw them in the back of somebody's truck and do a swap if the track isn't packed and runs aren't at a premium...

I can assure you it won't trap 132 though. I'm picking it up today from Stage 6 from having a pulley/tune/thermostat/OR midpipe installed....

But if I can do it same day should still be a apples to apples comparison...

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Several of us are supposed to go to SGMP on the 20th. I may throw them in the back of somebody's truck and do a swap if the track isn't packed and runs aren't at a premium...

I can assure you it won't trap 132 though. I'm picking it up today from Stage 6 from having a pulley/tune/thermostat/OR midpipe installed....

But if I can do it same day should still be a apples to apples comparison...

Do it! That would be a very good time to do so. The more powerful/traction limited the car, the better the result of switching to a drag radial.

Users who are viewing this thread