Cant win with this issue.

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys I’ve been chasing this overheating issue for a long time. I’ll start off by saying I checked the thermostat and it works. I replaced fan just in case, I burped the system properly(reason I know is because car sometimes drives normal and doesn’t pass 190/200 while being out). Some days I can drive it all over, then some days out of nowhere it will over heat wanting to pass 230. One day I took car to gym ran it hard felt great and didn’t pass 200. Same day going home left it sitting in bank for couple of min and temp was at 220 and climbing. Only reason I noticed before I checked the temp was that I can hear my belt squeal I’m guessing from coolant spill. Then two days later I burped the system just in case, everything worked again. But yesterday same thing it overheated on my way home. This is so frustrating. My white cobra I can leave sitting at idle and doesn’t overheat. Any advice or help plz. Oh and I checked the 2 fuses they were good.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hate to say it but when my lightning would randomly over heat (and then cool back down super fast) it was a blown head gasket

unless yours is only doing at idle in which case Id still be looking at your cooling fan, something could be up a fuse/relay for that along with possibly the CCRM

mark23svt

Established Member
Dam that sucks if it’s head gasket. And no it does it randomly sometimes I can leave it idle for a long time nothing will happen. Then I can drive it and it will over heat. At times I can go 2/3 days of using her without any issue then out of nowhere. And when I’m driving I know when it’s going to overheat. I can feel the A/C not cold anymore. One day was weird I was driving and it started to overheat, all of a sudden when I was looking for a place to park by itself it went back down to 200.

mark23svt

Established Member
But most of the time it won’t cool back down so I have to let it cool then limp it back home. Then just a simple burp and it will work for a day or so maybe a week.

mark23svt

Established Member
I NEver see any spill but I have the aluminum expansion tank and I can see dry residue that dirties it. And I can hear the squeal as if some is coming out. But I guess not a lot because I’ve never seen any on the floor once I park at home.

mark23svt

Established Member
Honestly i only check the days it over heats. And yes it does everytime it overheats I need to add some. On the days it doesn’t over heat I don’t check it.

mark23svt

Established Member
But I just thought of something everytime I burp the system it works for a while since I fill her up. Then a day or so passes and she might overheat now I think due to loss of coolant.

mark23svt

Established Member
Also before I go so far as head gasket I have a new water pump I want to try as well as a new resovoir, cap and crossover plug. Just incase.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Buy a kit , that checks for exhaust gasses in the coolant .
Very simple to use , it is a dye that goes into a bottle like devise , that you sinply put into the resivour , and it changes color if there is exhaust gasses in the coolant .
Takes 5 minutes tops.
You are either losing coolant , or sucking air into the system .

Users who are viewing this thread