Can't make up mind? HELP!

Berke

Super Genius
Established Member
I have to buy a new vehicle this week and I'm torn. It's a split decision between a '01 Cobra or a '01 Lightning. I was leaning toward the Cobra, but around the message boards, alot more Cobra people seem unhappy with their cars than the Lightning people. I've been going to a bunch of message board/forums for both vehicles, and that's just a feeling I get. Would all you Cobra guys make the same decision if you could go back knowing what know now?

Thanks!
Berke

2001LaserRed

Established Member
You better believe it!

And I haven't had any problems with my Cobra. Well, I take that back. I did have the first *&(!!@* flat tire I've had in years. Had to happen on my Cobra instead of my Ranger or Windstar where the tires are 3 times as expensive. Unfortunately, it was not a repairable flat -- something stuck through the tread and ripped the sidewall!

But, even knowing that I'd have a flat, I'd buy the Cobra again in a heartbeat over the Lightning. Now, I'd love to own a Lightning too, but that money's being taken by my 8 month old little girl! I might would've waited until now so I could get the 0% financing though!

Jeff

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I absolutely love driving my Cobra. I haven't driven an "L," so I'm biased, but hey, you can't go wrong with either choice I suppose. I would look at your needs (towing/hauling?) and then just ante up for the one that fits your "need for speed." :) Enjoy!

snake1

Originally posted by Berke
I have to buy a new vehicle this week and I'm torn. It's a split decision between a '01 Cobra or a '01 Lightning. I was leaning toward the Cobra, but around the message boards, alot more Cobra people seem unhappy with their cars than the Lightning people. I've been going to a bunch of message board/forums for both vehicles, and that's just a feeling I get. Would all you Cobra guys make the same decision if you could go back knowing what know now?

I would buy another Cobra, even though mine may need a tranny fix/replacement (shift forks).

Do you want a cool truck with an automatic transmission that goes fast in a straight line (at least for a 1/4 mile), gets TERRIBLE gas mileage, and can't really haul anything? Or do you want a cool car that goes fast in a straight line, around corners, gets decent gas mileage, and stops like few cars in the world can?

I don't really want to knock "L" owners, but having one seems more like a fad to me. A Cobra I can see myself living with for 5+ years. But a Lightning? I'd probably like it for 6 months to a year, and then I'd be wanting a Cobra.

Last edited by a moderator:

sssSnake 01

Established Member
Cobra owners gripe...but very few would part with thier Baby! I love the car and besides.....The Cobra looks sweet!!!! The Lightning is fast but it is still a truck. Cannot corner like the cobra and once you add the power adder the Cobra can take it.

Sounds like you are married so I'll skip the part about ....Chicks dig the Cobra.

Most of them would not know the difference between a Lightning and a pretty F150!

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
I'd buy a Cobra again in a heart beat. Best Car I've ever owned, and at 40 years old I've owned a lot of cars. LOL! Both are nice, you need to decide if you want a car or a truck.

Tim

Cobra-R

Established Member
I have both and think you would be happy with either choice. In my opinion, the Cobra is more fun to drive. There is something about shifting your own gears and hammering around in whatever gear you want it in for the given situation.

The lightning is fun because it has torque to no end, and like was mentioned above, alot of people look at it as another truck. It is fun to drive and a blast to take to the drag strip. If hauling things or pulling a trailer is something you need to be able to do, buy the L.

Brian

Snake Eyez

Established Member
I love my Cobra. I don't think you will be disappointed no matter which way you choose to go, but I definitely wouldn't have given up my Cobra for a Lightning.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by Berke

Thanks!
Berke

-What did you decide on?? I've seen a few new '01 Cobras around town lately (Fri night)..a yellow and a white one: in that yucky snow/sleet/rain to boot!! Poor cars.. :(

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by LR 01 Cobra
I'd buy a Cobra again in a heart beat. Best Car I've ever owned, and at 40 years old I've owned a lot of cars. LOL! Both are nice, you need to decide if you want a car or a truck.

Tim

I'm only 23 and my cobra is my 7th car, 3rd mustang, and 2nd cobra(2nd new body cobra at that). I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE trucks, but when i buy a truck and give in to getting only 14 or 15 mpg, it's gonna do what a truck is supposed to do, i have my cobra for going fast.
Did I mention I LOVE my Cobra?

01Snake

Established Member
I would buy another Cobra, but I am also one of the guys without problems. I drove the Lightning when I bought my Cobra, and found it to be one hell of a truck. If you are partial to trucks or need to haul small things, then go with the Lightning. If not, go with the Cobra. Either way you can't lose. Both cars are fairly exclusive and can hold their own against many formidable opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread