Can't make a decision on a temp job

tdschst

Established Member
So I'm the Director of Engineering for a Marriott Hotel in downtown Chicago. I've been here for 8 months now and have been doing good. I'm in a union here in Chicago and have been for 6 years, I'm 27.

I was talking to my GM yesterday and he asked me how I would like to go to Florida for a couple of weeks. There's a big hotel (twice the size of mine) right on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale, that needs a DOE for vacation coverage for 2-3 weeks.
I know this building has been looking for a DOE since 12/30/13. From what I understand the Engineering Supervisor is going on vacation and there won't be any supervisor. My GM said it would be good experience for me. I asked him why me and he said "we want to send someone that is competent and will make us look good".

From what I've been told is that I still will have my job here after and that this is ONLY vacation coverage. I will get my pay there (pay is higher in Chicago) and all my benefits will be paid for that time. They will pay my airfare down and whatever I spend there I get reimbursed for.

One plus about it is that I was planning on going on vacation around there at the end of the year. My uncle lives in Boca Raton, which is only 25 min away. My grandma has moved in with him because she's getting older. I would get to go see them.

I'm just nervous if they are meaning this as a trial for me there and end up offering me the DOE position there. I don't want to leave Chicago for Florida (family/pay) and would only want this to be temporary as they told me. I wouldn't want me turning the job down to look bad for me.

It could turn out to be a really good thing for me with this company. I wasn't nessesarily planning on making my career with this company, just to get my experience as chief and move to a bigger building in Chicago, although I wouldn't mind continuing with them. If I did this favor for them it could really make myself have a good name and when they get another building here my name could be at the top of their list. They have a couple here already.

Also I'm not looking to leave my union. I have a really good pension/ pay and a very promising future.

I've never been asked to so something like this and looking for some advice.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Do it, this is nothing out of the norm and shouldn't be cause for concern. The giant corp I work for does this all the time, except instead of Florida it's Singapore or Malaysia and the assignments can be as long as a year with the promise of being able to return after. If I were younger and\or not married with a kid I would do it myself. A few weeks in FLA is nothing and you should view it as a vote of confidence that they are wanting to send you.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would do it. It will only make you look good to them (assuming you don't make anyone mad lol). It will be good experience and if they see your flexible with them, they are more likely to be flexible with you in the future. An act of good will can go a long ways.

tistan

Established Member
I don't understand why you wouldn't to go to Florida. Forget the what you actually see written on your pay check. Factor in cost of living, lower property taxes, no state income tax, and no union dues, and you will probably end up with more money living in FL on a smaller paycheck.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
If there's not a union down there don't do it. Because as we all know union workers don't cut it in a real working environment

tdschst

Established Member
Like I said its only for 3 weeks for vacation coverage, from what they told me. I'm just nervous that it could lead to more. Everyone has told me to do it, except my grandfather. He's retired from my union and he moved to FL years back for 3 years and said he made half of what he did up north here. I know things are different this day and age. He's been my go to for advice so that's what has me nervous I guess.

I emailed my GM when I got home today saying I'd like to go for it. So I guess tomorrow morning I'll find out everything. Thanks for the comments, I guess I just needed some reassurance. I do think it would be good for my career with this company.

Jebadias

Established Member
Troll posts above aside if you can leave for that period of time it will be a good experience for you to see how another place is ran, even for a short while. Good luck.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
going to florida is always fun no matter what though i go there to relax.

but,if youre saying youll be paid less for doing the same job id try to negotiate something.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
In my line of work this sort of thing happens all the time. I've been with several companies, none of them as large as Marriot, and they have always honored the agreement.

I would say go for it. It makes you look good in the eyes of the company and you might have a lot of fun out there in sunny Fla.

So I'm the Director of Engineering for a Marriott Hotel in downtown Chicago. I've been here for 8 months now and have been doing good. I'm in a union here in Chicago and have been for 6 years, I'm 27.

I was talking to my GM yesterday and he asked me how I would like to go to Florida for a couple of weeks. There's a big hotel (twice the size of mine) right on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale, that needs a DOE for vacation coverage for 2-3 weeks.
I know this building has been looking for a DOE since 12/30/13. From what I understand the Engineering Supervisor is going on vacation and there won't be any supervisor. My GM said it would be good experience for me. I asked him why me and he said "we want to send someone that is competent and will make us look good".

From what I've been told is that I still will have my job here after and that this is ONLY vacation coverage. I will get my pay there (pay is higher in Chicago) and all my benefits will be paid for that time. They will pay my airfare down and whatever I spend there I get reimbursed for.

One plus about it is that I was planning on going on vacation around there at the end of the year. My uncle lives in Boca Raton, which is only 25 min away. My grandma has moved in with him because she's getting older. I would get to go see them.

I'm just nervous if they are meaning this as a trial for me there and end up offering me the DOE position there. I don't want to leave Chicago for Florida (family/pay) and would only want this to be temporary as they told me. I wouldn't want me turning the job down to look bad for me.

It could turn out to be a really good thing for me with this company. I wasn't nessesarily planning on making my career with this company, just to get my experience as chief and move to a bigger building in Chicago, although I wouldn't mind continuing with them. If I did this favor for them it could really make myself have a good name and when they get another building here my name could be at the top of their list. They have a couple here already.

Also I'm not looking to leave my union. I have a really good pension/ pay and a very promising future.

I've never been asked to so something like this and looking for some advice.

Users who are viewing this thread