Cant hit the 12's

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
Down In Myrtil beach for mustang week i ran my best time in my 03 cobra with intake and exhaust, on street tires. It was as followes
r/t .107
60" 2.132
330 5.654
1/8 8.536
1/8 mph 85.73
1/4 13.033
1/4 mph 109.51
This the 4th time I went and still cant hit 12's. This past friday i went to Virginia Motorsports and got another 13.053 but it was a very hot night, but i thought i would get it because i had my drag radials no such luck. So what do i got to do to get it, just launch better right? any tips would be much appreciated
thanks, Joe

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
It's all how you slip the clutch. It took me awhile to get my 12's, now I have MT DR's and I am in the same situation with the 11's. Your 60' is what's killing you, as I'm sure you know. Just practice and you'll get there!

Mystic03

Established Member
put some drs on and youll be there thats what got me there traction is everything! :thumbsup:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Its all about the launch and clutch slip, dr's 4000rpm or so until you find the sweet spot you'll know when you find it.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Did you try any cooling between runs? Might be a heatsoak issue...

Don't feel bad...your not the only one lacking the driver mod necessary to get a 12 second pass. :(

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
just keep practicing and you'll get it. That 2.13 60' is KILLING you... but practice will get that down to a sub-2.00 60'. With the power you're making, a 1.90-1.95 60' should be attainable once you learn how to dance on that clutch/throttle.

If it helps any, I was at Mustang Week as well and raced at Darlington too. It was very humid, and most everybody was a couple mph slow; and the track was only descently-prepped at best. My 60' was off by .11-.15 seconds, my 1/8-mile ET's were down about .2; and my 1/8-mile trap speed was down about 2 mph. This was the first time I had raced my truck in the 1/4 since I bought it; but I was about .25 seconds off from what I had expected... but wasn't suprised due to the head & humidity at Darlington in late July.

Your car definitely has 12's in it as it sets, honestly I'd say as much as a 12.50 on stock tires whenever the air cools off and you get on a GOOD prepped track.

Last edited:

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
Just like they are all saying, its the 60' that is killing you. It takes A LOT of practice to get good at launching, and especially on street tires its very hard to get a "good" 60 footer.

Just keep practicing. Test new ways of launching and have fun with it. You'll get it!

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
took about 15 passes to get into the 12s with basic bolt ons. Don't get discouraged. We all go through this phase. When you finally break into the 12s, you will be stoked! Good luck.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
You are so close, just a change in the ambient temps and you are there.

I picked up lots of 1.9X 60' times with a catback and intake on stock tires. Slip the cluthc and trade it off with the gas. You will knwo if you did it right when your rpms climb steady adn you do not spin coming out fo the hole.

best of luck

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Don't feel bad...your not the only one lacking the driver mod necessary to get a 12 second pass. :(

if he was running in your air he wouldn't have any problem. :poke:

OP I think it is probably your shifting that is hurting you the most. The power is there and your 60' isn't bad enough to keep you out of 12's. quick aggressive shifting will make a huge difference, trust me.

JMD0346

Established Member
You arent launching it hard enough or shifting fast enough. Ive been 8.50's in a stock 03with street tires. WHich usually equates to a 12.90 or so. You're close and when you get the formula down youll get it. You hit a high 1.80 low 1.90 60' and shift it right you could see as low as 12.40-12.60. Keep up the good work.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Here you go.

Air your drag radial down to 18psi
do a good 5-6 second burnout
Launch the car at 4000rpm (if you have a stock clutch)
and shift at around 6300 rpm

You'll run a 12.7 no problem with a 1.8 60".

Users who are viewing this thread