Can't find the brakes needed...

BenD

Established Member
I can't find anyone that makes a set of 14" drilled and slotted rotors with 6 piston fixed calipers for the front and 4 piston drilled and slotted 12 " rotors for the rear with the emergency brake setup.

Has anyone come across a set up like this for the Cobra. I'm trying not to have to compromise because this area is where I am the weakest and needs beefed up badly. I thought it would be relatively easy find, but now I'm starting to get worried. I know from experience this past season that if I can't improve the brakes dramatically I'm screwed.

I'll be running the SSR Comp C 18 x 9.5 wheels this season.

BenD

Established Member
You're funny!

Scott, nice to see a little Christmas humor on this very frigid nite. If I had your money, I'd burn mine!

I was over at RMCR this morning. I took them a Sandwich tray for a little Christmas Cheer.Mark is putting the finishing touches on 3 Vettes all three are built up completely with approx. 1000 HP. One also has 6 piston Wilwood brakes on the front and 4 piston on the rear with the emergency brake setup. It seems as though more of the critical parts are readily available for Vettes, much more than for the Cobra without having to go custom at great expense.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Ben

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
If you are serious talk to Predator. The Baer 4-piston rear does not normally come with an emergency brake set-up, but he worked out a deal that they were suppose to fab something up for him. He can probably answer any questions you have and save you some time and head-aches.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Also since you are really on the more is better kick you should check this out.
http://www.baer.com/Media/ContentDetails.aspx?ContentID=167

12-piston Calipers for the front.
GetImage.aspx

Mounted.
GetImage.aspx

4-piston rear.
GetImage.aspx

BenD

Established Member
Brake feed back

Toofast4u, Vipergts281,Midlife C

Thanks for the feed back from everyone...except Scott (Sambandit). Ho! Ho! Ho! I told Santa to by pass your house tonite!

I may have to settle for the R Brakes, hope not! I'll check into the Stoptech brakes. I didn't know they had 14" Rotors available. Unfortunately serious brakes seem to come with a serious price tag too. Trying to find the 6 piston 14" variety in the first place is not easy, trying to find them under $3000 is even worse. Every vendor seems to be really proud of their brakes.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The 14" Stoptech kit is not that expensive relatively it is 2,600/list and includes floating two piece rotors. Given that Terry is selling the 13" kit which is 2,000/list for 1,700 shipped he can probably get you a good deal on the 14" kit. I wish I saw that price before I bought the 00R kit that would have been the push I needed to go that way.

BenD

Established Member
Cobra/weight/Brakes

The weight issue with the Cobra is definitely a factor. I have been slowly whittling away the weight. I do have the car down to 3577.

I don't have the MM K-Member that's been sitting in the Garage for three months installed yet or the Flaming River Steering Shaft. Those items along with my Coil Over suspension, MM Lower Control Arms that is installed I should be able to realize another 50 lbs off the weight and especially off the front end when the K-Member goes in. Plus the K-Member moves the wheel base 3/4" forward, doesn't sound like much, but promises to really help.

The Wheels weigh only 17.5 lbs each and 2pc brakes, especially Baer are 4.5 lbs lighter per wheel, StopTech's 2 pc are probably about the same if I can ever get the set up that I want. In any case what ever I end up with they are going to have to be 2 pc, so that probably eliminates the 'OO R package. I'm determined to reduce the unsprung weight at the same time.

With what I mentioned above and with Seats, Carbon Fiber Hood, and a Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, which I may not be able to do until late in '05, I think I can get close to 3200Lbs, without removing the Air Conditioning, or really making the car unlivable.

The curb weight of the Ferrari F430 is 3150lbs, the new 500 HP Z-06 probably will come in at or near that weight.

And...I only weigh 135 lbs soaking wet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread