Cant drive car in rain - gets wet - shuts off

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
Just wanted to post and see if anyone else has run into this....
I have a Vortech supercharger setup and my power pipe/air filter is set up right down in front of my right front tire, tucked just behind the bumper cover. Its literally about 6 inches off the ground. The first time I ever had it out in the rain, ( it was actually done raining, roads were just wet ) I drove about 2 miles and the car just shut off. Engine died as if it ran out of gas and I coasted into a parking lot. Would not refire. I thought it was catastrophic cause I knew I had gas. After getting it towed to a shop, and the mechanical not finding anything wrong on the first day, but still wouldnt start for him, came to find out all it took was a couple days to dry out. On the 2nd day he called back and said he was just out driving it and it runs perfect. All he could figure was it sucked water up the air intake and got the MAF sensor or something wet and it zapped it out. Once it fully dried out it came back to life.
<br>
Anyone else had similar experience? if so what actions did you take? It really sucks having to plan around rain now as if I own a motorcycle. only thing I can think of is trying to come up with some type of custom rainsock for it or something I can throw on if I get stuck in the rain somewhere but who knows how effective that would be.

mustanginky

Established Member
yep my procharger setup did the same thing when it was draw thru and an anderson powerpipe. you can ditch the powerpipe, best option. should be fine with the stock supercharger inlet.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I haven't had any problems driving in regular Rraina conditions. I've even driven a long road trip on a very rainy day on the highway without any problems whatsoever. But I did accidentally hit a huge puddle on the side of the road driving home from work one day and sucked up huge amount of water up into the system. I have to take apart all the piping and drain the intercooler in addition to cleaning out the mass airflow sensor. It must've sucked up at least a gallon of water that was in the system. Thank God it didn't all go through the motor.

You could fabricate some sort of sheet metal guard to try and prevent water from getting sucked up into the system.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you blow through or draw through? I was blow through and had my filter in the same spot and didn't have any issues.

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
yep my procharger setup did the same thing when it was draw thru and an anderson powerpipe. you can ditch the powerpipe, best option. should be fine with the stock supercharger inlet.

Yea thats not a bad suggestion. I have an anderson too. I might look into doing that thanks!

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
I haven't had any problems driving in regular Rraina conditions. I've even driven a long road trip on a very rainy day on the highway without any problems whatsoever. But I did accidentally hit a huge puddle on the side of the road driving home from work one day and sucked up huge amount of water up into the system. I have to take apart all the piping and drain the intercooler in addition to cleaning out the mass airflow sensor. It must've sucked up at least a gallon of water that was in the system. Thank God it didn't all go through the motor.

You could fabricate some sort of sheet metal guard to try and prevent water from getting sucked up into the system.
It was literally the first and only time I've had it in the wet, so its buggin the hell outa me wondering if it was just a fluke or what. I know I didnt hit a puddle thats for sure. I cant exactly go try it agian without being prepared to leave my car by the side of the road if it happens again, so I duno what I am going to do. Just not take it out if there is any chance of rain I guess.
I have thought about doing a sheet metal guard of sometype too. That actually might be something I try before taking the power pipe off.

crazycarlo

Established Member
When I was draw thru my maf got wet regularly and would make my car run like crap. It would stall sometimes, same with my friends. Also I ruined a motor by hitting a deep puddle and locked my motor up.

Users who are viewing this thread