Can't do a 2nd to 3rd bark, bad clutch???

doubleblack

Established Member
When I had my 01, I could do it just fine...now w/ my 03, I can't get it to do a 2nd to 3rd bark...

BUT, the car breaks loose on the top of 1st...

Do you guys think I may have a faulty clutch?

doubleblack

Established Member
Are you saying the stock tires hook so well that a 2nd to 3rd bark can't be done on a stock 03...if you are, I'll accept this answer greatfully because I will know nothing is wrong w/ my clutch...

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yeah, same thing here, wheel hop in first small patch in 2nd no chirp in third. I also can break the wheels loose at the top of first.If I feather the clutch for more than a few seconds off line, I can smell the clutch burnin! The more traction and less wheel spin, the better I like it. Never was one for burn outs.All flash and no substance, so to speak

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
Put the 245 size tires from your '01 on the '03.

It'll bark. A lot.

ROFLMAO!!!!

I had a hard time making it bark stock but after mods etc I got a chirp out of the 315 Nittos yesterday:) I couldn't do that until I had the combo of adjustable clutch cable/quadrant and Pro5.0 shifter.

doubleblack

Established Member
I'm feeling better, from the few posts, it doesn't seem like anythings wrong w/ my clutch...Now, if the next 16 posts say a 3rd gear bark is standard issue, then I'll be worried...

FINICKY

Established Member
these cars hook pretty well and are also not the easiest to powershift. It would probablly be easier to bark second if first hooked all the through first and you could hit second nice and hard.
I couldnt get a good third gear shift until recently and now when i hit third the rear starts to kick out a little .....also not exactly stock anymore lol enjoy.

hj16

Established Member
I'm stock, and I could get 3rd to bark. Not very hard, but it was there. That was when it was about 40 degrees out though. I dont know if I could do it in warmer weather.

I doubt that anything is wrong with your clutch

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I've heard people say they break it loose in second. I have never been able to do this, but my car runs strong. I don't think I have a problem as I run 12.8's when I just had a CAI and on stock rubber. I'd say your car is fine.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by doubleblack
Are you saying the stock tires hook so well that a 2nd to 3rd bark can't be done on a stock 03...if you are, I'll accept this answer greatfully because I will know nothing is wrong w/ my clutch...

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Just explaining the reason you were able to do it in the other one.

Also, since it takes full boost to make full power....

watch when you shift... the boost drops unless you powershift (hold the gas on the floor). Thus you're not really at full power for that split second it takes to make 'em bark.

If you really want to try I'd wager a power shift would bark 'em.

Like when I was driving along today at about 30 mph and this ricer came up and started revving at me. I just pushed the clutch in, went to second revved up to 4 large and dumped it.

Instant sideways ricer repellant. :-D

Same principal, you really gotta keep it revved up since you're so high in the power band.

Don't worry, bark or no bark the '03 would embarass your '01 at the top of second on the 2 - 3 shift.

:)

Acidus

Established Member
Warm weather in Florida... I've been able to make it chirp going in to second whenever I want... but never going in to third.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
the boost drops unless you powershift (hold the gas on the floor). Thus you're not really at full power for that split second it takes to make 'em bark.

If you really want to try I'd wager a power shift would bark 'em.

Our cars will not allow this. If you keep the gas on the floor when you shift boost dump will occur and it will feel just like it does when you try to run a SS off the line and forget to turn off traction control. :bored: And just as frustrating as well. Try it, you will see what I mean. I did this running against my brothers Kawasaki 1200 - it was quite embarassing.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
I've heard people say they break it loose in second. I have never been able to do this, but my car runs strong.
My car will do this everytime....and I'm running BFG KD 315's on 17x10.5" wheels. No pulley, no chip, stock filter. All my car has is Magnaflow catted X pipe and Magnaflow catback.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter
My car will do this everytime....and I'm running BFG KD 315's on 17x10.5" wheels. No pulley, no chip, stock filter. All my car has is Magnaflow catted X pipe and Magnaflow catback.

:bash: :p

dpaul

Established Member
Boy oh boy... I've checked everywhere... I can't find the correct size bias plies to fit my '03...:p

Imagine what kind of tire smoke one could make with bias plies and an '03? You could probably bark 5th!

I had original bias plies on my first car when I was 16 years old... and a 7.4 Liter motor, when I went to radials and couldn't even turn 'em over!

wuplash

Established Member
Originally posted by doubleblack
When I had my 01, I could do it just fine...now w/ my 03, I can't get it to do a 2nd to 3rd bark...

BUT, the car breaks loose on the top of 1st...

Do you guys think I may have a faulty clutch?

i really don't think so.when mine was stock i could not do a 2nd to 3rd gear bark but when i installed my amazon cai and accufab tb/power inlet i can now:-D

Users who are viewing this thread