Cant decide VMP TVS or Whipple

psucobra

Established Member
Its power adder time and I cant decide which route I want to go. Im torn between the VMP TVS, the Whipple 2.3 (624hp) and the Whipple 2.9. It seems as though the Roush TVS is the blower of choice for these cars based on the number of TVS cars I see here and on other forums. I like the Whipples, but I have to admit I am giving strong consideration to the TVS based on the incredible results I've been seeing. I havent been able to find quite as much feedback on the Whipple products. I would like to get some opinions on which blower you all would get and some Pros and Cons for each. Thanks!

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
The Whipple 2.3 went 9's stock block and stock auto.

The Whipple 2.9 went 9.7 full weight (4000lbs with driver) on 20's. That was built motor, stock auto and stock convertor.

kingnut

Established Member
I like the whipple 2.3 but for the price difference you cant beat the roush. So i will probably be going roush. Alot of guys running them with great results.

psucobra

Established Member
The Whipple 2.3 went 9's stock block and stock auto.

The Whipple 2.9 went 9.7 full weight (4000lbs with driver) on 20's. That was built motor, stock auto and stock convertor.

These are some nice numbers. I really like the potential of the Whipple for big boost.

kevinp

Established Member
If you are buying be realistic, if you are going to be stepping the car up to do a lot of drag racing spend the money now on a bigger blower.

Since the TVS has gone 9s with some supporting mods on heavy cars in good weather thats enough for me, I'm never going to do a cage or the SFI stuff to 'legally' run 9s in this car or sit in the staging lanes on a 90 degree day so I'm pretty happy with it.

If you are looking for dyno numbers then get whatever you can afford that moves the most air the most efficient, just dont forget the fuel system mods and driveline mods to make use of the added power.

Its a tough decision, the centri cars are running well, the PDs run well, nitrous cars run well - sometimes it might be easier just to tape all the choices to the wall and throw a dart :)

2011redcandy

Established Member
Kenne bell is another system to look at, and runs the coolest of all the options listed. It comes standard with a dual pass HE, while the Roush/whipple come with a single. KB it priced inbetween the Roush and Whipple.

Flaco1

Established Member
I can give u some feedback in a couple of weeks. I'm installing my 2.9 whipple as I write this. Once I get it on the dyno I can give some # as well. Keeping motor stock but planning on going built in the feature.

Bud

Established Member
If you are buying be realistic, if you are going to be stepping the car up to do a lot of drag racing spend the money now on a bigger blower.

True point, otherwise it gets really expensive swapping out parts, don't ask me how I know. It is also expensive and not very daily driver like to get legal even for 10.99, let alone 9.99

I can give u some feedback in a couple of weeks. I'm installing my 2.9 whipple as I write this. Once I get it on the dyno I can give some # as well. Keeping motor stock but planning on going built in the feature.

Curious how yours turns out. I am doing the same right now, waiting for parts to come in. Hopefully 2.9 and e85 on the stock motor will survive till next winter.

psucobra

Established Member

Cool, I would really appreciate that. I like the idea of going big with the 2.9 Whipple and having the room for growth. Wether that growth comes, or not is a whole other thing. Keep us posted!

Im wondering if there a significant weight difference between the 2.3 and the 2.9?

gkviper192

Established Member
exactly. Whp never gets old and chances are you're always going to want more.

This^^^ which is why I spent the extra for the 2.9.. Because I will probably want the "extra" later on down the road and will be much easier to start with the right blower than having to change it out later. If you are really squeezed out for cash than of course the TVS is a great blower but if you can swing it, than the whipple is definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread