• 5.0 cobra

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 4.6 cobra

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burnt Rice

Established Member
ive been wanting to buy a 94-95 5.0 cbobra or a 96-98 4.6 cobra,only problem is i cant decide to stick with a 5.0 or a 4.6. ive always liked the 5.0 but the 96+ cobras have 300 hp. which is better.

could u guys help me out with this. Thanks for any comments u guys might have

72 fastback

Established Member
depends on your mod level,mild mods go for the 96 up.heck man i dont even know myself.i've had both.long as their in good shape you cant go wrong.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
all depends. I wanted a 96-98 4v but ended up getting a good deal on my 95 so I went that way. with bolt ons I'm in the 12's so you cannt go wrong there. heads and a cam and the car would really move

94CobraPace

Established Member
Go drive both & see which one you like best.
Also depends on what you are gonna want to do with the car.
The 5.0's can be made faster for cheaper. The 4.6 is faster stock or with bolt ons.
Hope this won't get out of hand?

302powered said:
ive been wanting to buy a 94-95 5.0 cbobra or a 96-98 4.6 cobra,only problem is i cant decide to stick with a 5.0 or a 4.6. ive always liked the 5.0 but the 96+ cobras have 300 hp. which is better.

could u guys help me out with this. Thanks for any comments u guys might have

C'mon man. Thats like deciding if you should wear a mullet or a modern hair cut. The 5.0s had their day in the sun. I'm nostalgic too, but we need to say good bye to the 5.0 :burn:

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
I have a 98 cobra. with stage 2 cams, nx wet kit 100 shot, bbk cold air intake and off-road h with 2 chamber flows, underdrive pullies, sct custom tune, 4.10 gears and a pro 5.0 shifter. without the bottle i can keep up with c4 and c5 vettes but on the bottle im not too far behind the z06 vettes or the terminators. i love my four valve. before i had a tune i ran against my bestfriends 2000 gt with a 5.4 sohc and a few other goodies and he had me by a car. without the tune i mean i was running on 7 cylinders and not 8 we forgot to check all of the plugs and the #1 plug was misfiring. i only lost by a car lengh. if you want a car that can produce some torque then go with the 5.0 but if you want high end power and torque then go with a 4.6 4v. you can catch anything possible. it will never stop pulling until you hit the governor +140 mph. on wednesday i will get final dynoes and i will post but if i had to guess i would say around 310 all motor to hte ground and around 375 to the ground with the kit. being modest of course. i don't like to set too high of a standard.

Sergio

Established Member
if you're going to put i/h/c on a 302, why bother spending more money on the cobra. i voted for the 4v... but either way, you'll be happy

Jackie Chan

Established Member
wythors said:
If you go with the 4.6, you won't need h/c/i to kill Honduh's.

you wont with the 5.0 either.

i guess it comes down to how far you want to go. if you want 400rwhp the 5.0 is probably the cheapest route to go. you can go with a blower and you are there all day long. now if you want 500+ the 4v is the way to go, but you are going to have to throw some internals in the block, but the sky is the limit with a forged 4v and FI.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I voted 4v because I love the high revving silky smooth motor but you can't go wrong with wither one.

Plus people are just finding out how to make big power out of n/a 4 valves. The NMRA keeps restricting the 4v's in factory stock because they just keep getting faster. The 4v has alot of potential n/a and even more with FI.

GHOST5.0

NEW SVT POSTER
Established Member
i vote for a 5.0 you cant work on it yourself if you have any mechanical skills what so ever unlike to 4.6

trojan8022

I hate lug nuts & studs
Established Member
I vote 4V its just a fun car.. but you cant go wrong.. im hoping to pick up a 94 Cobra reall soon.. that way i have a car to drive while my 98 Cobra is down..

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I voted 4v because I love the high revving silky smooth motor but you can't go wrong with wither one.

Plus people are just finding out how to make big power out of n/a 4 valves. The NMRA keeps restricting the 4v's in factory stock because they just keep getting faster. The 4v has alot of potential n/a and even more with FI.

Hey I love the 4v and I picked it over the 5.0 Cobras so I know its good. But I'd like to see a full bolton 4V keep up with a h/c/i 5.0 with all appropriate breathing boltons as well. It won't happen. The 5.0 will make more torque and horsepower, and it will make it with a flatter torque curve as well. So I wouldn't say it has alot more potential N/A when you're talking 4.6 vs. 5.0.

However when your just talking boltons (excluding the h/c/i from the 5.0) then your right, the 4V has alot more potential. But once you throw some decent heads the 5.0s they really wake up.

Paul

Jackie Chan

Established Member
grandestang said:
However when your just talking boltons (excluding the h/c/i from the 5.0) then your right, the 4V has alot more potential. But once you throw some decent heads the 5.0s they really wake up.

Paul

yeah definately. i think pulling some weight, tuning and susp this car will go mid 12's but i think that is a good .4 or so behind a totally stock longblock 4v is capable of mod for mod

CY98Cobra

Established Member
grandestang said:
Hey I love the 4v and I picked it over the 5.0 Cobras so I know its good. But I'd like to see a full bolton 4V keep up with a h/c/i 5.0 with all appropriate breathing boltons as well. It won't happen. The 5.0 will make more torque and horsepower, and it will make it with a flatter torque curve as well. So I wouldn't say it has alot more potential N/A when you're talking 4.6 vs. 5.0.

Paul

I wasn't saying the 4v has more potential n/a than a 5.0. But, look at the Factory Stock class in the NMRA. The 4v's are practically dominating the class. The NMRA keeps restricting the 4v's to keep them even with the 5.0. Last year it was the weight penalty, this year they are limited to 3.90 gears. Technology marches on, engines get better/more efficient and the 4v has a huge advantage there.

I'm not saying the 4v is better than the 5.0 n/a, but it's not far behind like eveyone thinks.

D ABLO

Established Member
grandestang said:

Paul

+1

Have seen it before around the chi not meny people have quick 4v but everyone and there momma had a quick 5.0 to race. When the LT1 was out the only thing we could match was a bolt on 5.0. high rev or not H/C/i 5.0's can git out of the hole. Hard..... that was a few years ago then the Terminater came out it's a diffrent storie now.

Users who are viewing this thread