Can you use lopey cam on a Supercharged car ?

BigDaddy

Established Member
Cams that work well with Blowers generally are designed to keep the air / fuel mixture in the cylinder longer or to scavenge as much air as possible. To do this the result of such a design actually casues some cams to sound a tad more mild than a similarly sized cam that was meant for a N/A engine. So, although you can put larger cams into your Cobra's engine(to make more power), and they may sound more aggresive than stock, they probably wont "lope" as much as if they were designed for a car without a SuperCharger.

I have very little experience with multi cammed engines, but I would imagine that the Cam theory is very similar for Cobra engines as it is with a single cam push rod V8.

Last edited:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
The biggest difference would be lobe separation. Since our cams are ex/intake, the serparation could be set just about however you would want it with a given lift/duration.

Anyone thinking split duration, high ramp rate cams set on 114 or 116 separation like i am atm??? :)

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
actuall the biggest difference is overlap. rumpy rumpy cams tend to have lots of valve overlap where the intake and exhaust valve are both open at the same time to allow the exhaust scavenging to pull in the new intake charge. with forced induction you blow the intake charge right out the exhaust when your cam has too much overlap.

i'll take the purrs-like-a-kitten cam where forced induction is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread