Can you take apart a window switch to clean it?

atikovi

Established Member
Sometimes the right front window in my '98 doesn't work. I have to press the switch like 5 times, or press down really hard to get the window to move. I assume the contacts in the switch are dirty. Can the switch be taken apart and cleaned?

lastexit99

Established Member
In my 96 Cobra the passenger window wouldn't go up from the switch on the drivers door. It would go down, but not back up. I think I went to Late Model Restoration and got a replacement switch that was easy to install. Just a little time consuming. As far as cleaning the switch, it might work, but as cheap as the replacment part is I'd probably just replace it.

Last edited:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
YES! once you remove from the housing and unbolt you pop the button off and there you will see the metal tabs. I did this but the switch was clean and I just replaced it. if you get a used one and the button looks undesirable you can use your button on the other switch you bought. If you try to mess with the contacts beware they are super fragile and if distorted too much you will make the problem worse. When I replaced my pass side switch it was as clean as the day they made it. you will notice the metal tabs in there you could try a squirt but you most likely end up replacing it. Find a part out cobra. Dont worry if the button is faded or scratched because you can pop your button on the new switch. All this will be the easy part. The hard part is removing the switch housing from the door. No need to take the entire panel off the door. Just need a small driver to get under there to lift it out. Be careful the first time is the most nerve wrecking.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
In my 96 Cobra the passenger window wouldn't go up from the switch on the drivers door. It would go down, but not back up. I think I went to Late Model Restoration and got a replacement switch that was easy to install. Just a little time consuming. As far as cleaning the switch, it might work, but as cheap as the replacment part is I'd probably just replace it.

Oh wow good to know for the future. I was not aware they were making them.

Users who are viewing this thread