Can you run 18s in back and 17s in front?

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
Might be a really dumbass question, as Ive usually heard they have to be like 17 and 19 or 20 and 22.......but I thought Id ask anyway.....Anyone chime in....Thx JT

Jpjr

Established Member
Not sure about our cars.. but stock C5 vette's were 17's front 18's back I believe.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I don't see why not... On my old Roush, I had 18s all around but the back tires had a taller sidewall which means they were bigger than the fronts and at the same speed, were actually spinning slower than the fronts. I hope that's not as confusing as it sounds... It just goes to show that you can have a taller tire or bigger wheel in the back...

JTSVT

Established Member
Hmmm.....so if I buy these rears and ya'll are wrong you owe me.....lol...j/k.....I guess I can always pawn em off....I love the hotrod look and I think these would look pretty mean on a lowered Cobra.....they'll be just like mine only 18s.....Thx for the input guys, bump for more!---JT

JTSVT

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
the only time you have trouble is when you have them different sizes side to side. that tends to chow the wheel bearings and the clutch pack in the differential.

You mean like one 18 in the back and a 17 on the other back side??...I dont know why anyone would do that???....JT

JTSVT

Established Member
Lol..gotcha just wanted to make sure i understood ya.....Thx JT

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Jpjr said:
Not sure about our cars.. but stock C5 vette's were 17's front 18's back I believe.

That's correct. I believe the '05 vette now comes with 18/f and 19/r. A lot of performance cars come with different rim sizes front to back.

My fiance is buying me a set of 18 x 10.5's for Christmas. I will be leaving the stock 17's up front for now as I want to spend my money on other area's of the car first. If I like how it looks maybe I will just leave 17's up front.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
You can run any combo you want. Just try to match up the tire heights so that you are close in the front and back, or a little taller in back. A buddy has 18 in the front and 19 in the back and it looks great.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
yea...for example

if you go 17x9 up front ....(stock) you have a 40 height sidewall.

if you go 18x10.5 in the rear .....make sure you have a 35 or 30 height tire.

JTSVT

Established Member
OK guys will do...Thx for the info...Im gettin 18x10.5 for the rear and Im keeping the stockers up front...I love the "slanted" hotrod look.......Thx again---JT

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I don't think you're going to get the slanted hotrod look you're going for. In order to keep the trac control from operating erratically (or possibly the ABS going crazy) I'd say the rear diameter could have to be only a certain percentage larger than the front diameter...meaning nearly identical. Of course a tuner might be able to take care of this for you with a PCM programming change...

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
the only time you have trouble is when you have them different sizes side to side. that tends to chow the wheel bearings and the clutch pack in the differential.

Nah..you could have a 15 inch rim on one side and a 20 on the other and you'd be fine (but ugly!) as long as the overall TIRE diameter is the same.

For example...

a 315/50/15 is 27.4 inches in diameter

a 315/30/20 is also 27.4 inches in diameter.

It would proably ride weird because of the different sidewalls, but as far as chewing up your rear? nope.

BTW....PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
StngStr said:
BTW....PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

No kidding. The sidewall elasticity differential combined with the handling quirks of these cars would make for some interesting transitory characteristics, with a 15 on one side and a 20 on the other.

JTSVT

Established Member
CarpetCityCobra said:
No kidding. The sidewall elasticity differential combined with the handling quirks of these cars would make for some interesting transitory characteristics, with a 15 on one side and a 20 on the other.

What he said...... :thumbsup: ....lol

03silverdrop

Established Member
The only time you really have problems with this is if you have an all wheel drive car, which you don't so don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread