Can you Powershift on a Turbocharged car

427' Cobra

Honda Sucks
Established Member
i was wondering can u powershift on a turbocharged car some people say yes some people say no but i was reading about turbo cars the other day and they say that auto cars have bypass valves not blow off valves so i was wondering if i take the blow off valve off and put a bypass valve on then could i powershift i'm guessing that the bypass valve blows off the pressure automatically and the blow off valve waits until u lift ur foot off to releave the pressure

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
i race 2 turbo cars for guys in my club...

one an AWD GSX i can.... built tranny
and a stage 2 srt-4 i cant... stock

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Blowoff valve and a Bypass valve are the same thing IIRC. Blow off valves open when there is an excess pressure. As long as you have a blow off valve I would say you can safely powershift.

Last edited:

427' Cobra

Honda Sucks
Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
Blowoff valve and a Bypass valve are the same thing IIRC. Blow off valves open when there is an excess pressure. As long as you have a blow off valve I would say you can safely powershift.

Thank you for clearing that up for me

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
I dunno just for somereason.... maybe cuz i didnt drive the car as much and it was stock clutch and tranny just couldnt do it well.... too much boost... id unno

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
04 and up SRT-4s come from the factory with an ECU programmed to hold full boost during a wide open throttle shift. Any of the Mopar staged upgrades also come with this type of tuning. It is actually better (performance wise) to powershift a turbocharged car because the turbo will stay spooled during shifts, as opposed to letting off the gas, shifting, and then getting back on it waiting for the turbo to spool up again.

However, I don't know how much your car will like you after a lot of WOT shifts :)

Users who are viewing this thread