Can you pass smog on E85?

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
Provided you have no other issues, visual or incomplete monitors and are running E85 you should have no problems passing the sniffer portion. The polutants that the smog machine tests for are only about 30% of the output of gasoline with the exception of NoX as i was told.
Some have claimed passing the sniffer portion running e85 even without cat converters... but i have yet to see an actual printout of output readings.

oldmodman

Established Member
This may not be of any help.
But as one of my cars I have a 1992 Ford Explorer, all stock. And it was right at the point of not passing until I put a quarter of a tank of E-85 in it. Then it not only passed, but it passed cleaner than it did in 1994. Which was the first year I had to have it smog checked.

So if your car will pass the visual check, and all the readiness codes are set you should just fly through the test.
And the 2.3 Whipple (with the stock pulley) will pass all the inspection requirements since it does have an EO#
Just make sure that all the sensors are turned on in your tune. If you either don't have cats, or the rear O2 sensors are turned off you will fail.
The best way to insure your passing is to re-install the stock tune (it it will work with your fuel pumps and injectors).

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
This may not be of any help.
But as one of my cars I have a 1992 Ford Explorer, all stock. And it was right at the point of not passing until I put a quarter of a tank of E-85 in it. Then it not only passed, but it passed cleaner than it did in 1994. Which was the first year I had to have it smog checked.

So if your car will pass the visual check, and all the readiness codes are set you should just fly through the test.
And the 2.3 Whipple (with the stock pulley) will pass all the inspection requirements since it does have an EO#
Just make sure that all the sensors are turned on in your tune. If you either don't have cats, or the rear O2 sensors are turned off you will fail.
The best way to insure your passing is to re-install the stock tune (it it will work with your fuel pumps and injectors).

So I should be ok with putting the 3.0 pulley and load the stock tune ?

oldmodman

Established Member
So I should be ok with putting the 3.0 pulley and load the stock tune ?

Yes, with a maybe.

Some injectors require a different setting in the tune for the car to idle properly. generally it is the bigger injectors that will cause the problem. One way to find out is try it. If it idles and runs OK OUT OF BOOST you should be fine to get it SMOG checked. But stay out of boost until you reinstall your tune.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
as long as all your monitors are on and all your equipment is in working order - there should be no reason for it not to pass

Users who are viewing this thread