Can you make a 1000hp Capable Returnless System?

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Sorry If this Question is stupid but I am not total fimilar with Everything Ford yet. (still learning)

I just purchased a 3.4 Whipple and now want to start on the fuel system. I called Kenne Bell today to talk about there Boost a Pump. They told me if I ran 255's or twin 340's and there boost a pump I would be 800 plus hp capable. It seems to easy and that is why I am skeptial. I know they offer return style systems from a number of vendors. But after talking with mike@kb he made it sound so simple to make the fuel system 800+ Plus Capable.

What are the keys to a high hp returnless system :D

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
The key to high HP returnless system is selling it and going Return. All you need is triple big pumps and triple FPDMs oh and someone that can tune it.

I went that route. My setup was good for something like 1400-1600 engine HP and ya it sucked balls. Put less than 200 miles and yanked it out.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Dont waste your time with returnless it would be a pita to tune ......not worth it, go return and call it good..... go all out on your fuel system that way you never have to upgrade regardless of your power goals. I did 3 340 fuel pumps kurgan fuel hat 10 an feed 8an return.

GodStang

Established Member

Quick Strike

Established Member
I'm in the minority here, but I know a returnless system can work very well for most power levels with some benefits. Returnless will not heat the fuel or needlessly pump the the fuel tank around every 1.5 minutes when less fuel is required. It will only use the fuel required and powers up and down accordingly. My returnless fuel system is at 65% utilization using stock rails and lines at 742 RWHP, and will easily handle 800 RWHP with no modifications. The fuel curve is as flat as a pancake. It starts, idles and cruises flawlessly.

Returnless systems can be difficult to tune, and experiences tuning around some of those difficulties gave returnless systems an undeserved poor reputation. Most high HP shops are more familiar with returnless systems since return has been the technology in race cars for the last 30+ years. So, it is easier to replace a unfamiliar system with a familiar system that is also cheaper and requires minimal or no tuning. I'm just here to say high HP returnless systems can work very well in the hands of the right tuner, and that it has some benefits over the return system.

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Thanks Man, Yeah I need to call Rob Williams my tuner and see what he has to say. I like the return system, because I am fimilar with it like you previously stated. Plus I want to run E85, Cause the station is 4 blocks away from my house and it would be very convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread