Can you hook up subs to a mustang mach 460 stock head unit???(PLEASE HELP)

04OrangeMach1

Established Member
Ok so the preimeuim mach 460 sound system that what i have in my car and im thinkn about geting some subs but I like my stock head unit, is it possible to hook the subs to it, and i know stock it has to small amps in the trunk that power it so if it is possible for the subs to hook up to my stock head unit is there way for me to add another amp to power just the subs and leave the other two powering the stock speakers??? Please help! :shrug:

Dusten

Established Member
It is very simple, buy a line out converter, follow the directions to install it, hook it to an aftermarket amp and then hook up the speakers. I did mine in a few short hours.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Easily done as said above. There's also devices such as JL's Clean Sweep (this), which basically has all audio outputs from the stock headunit fed into it, cleans up the sound, and makes it very easy to install aftermarket stereo setups with the stock headunit. I have a friend who does this all the time, and uses it when he does a totally hidden system.

04OrangeMach1

Established Member
Ok

So this is going to alow me to leave the two small stock amps(located in the top of the truck) powering the stock interior speakers, and add the subs and them be powered by another aftermarket amp??? And for those of you that have done this to ur car does it sound good or ok like this???

Thank alot guys!

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Do it right or don't do it at all IMHO...adding things into the transmission line is never a good thing...a good 4 channel amp, component speakers, and head unit will sound much better with new subs.

Dusten

Established Member
04OrangeMach1 said:
So this is going to alow me to leave the two small stock amps(located in the top of the truck) powering the stock interior speakers, and add the subs and them be powered by another aftermarket amp??? And for those of you that have done this to ur car does it sound good or ok like this???

Thank alot guys!

Mine sounds fine. And to the guy that says do it all, or not. Some of use dont want to go all out, i just wanted more bass. So a simple ten, small amp, and line converter was the best option.
I did the component speakers, big subs, big amps, and nice deck before, the return you get isnt worth the money. And stereo parts are worthless when you try and sell them

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
And the guy that said that actually said do it RIGHT or don't do it at all...you don't have to go all out to do it RIGHT. Buying a decent 4 channel amp, HU and even quality coaxials front and rear won't be that big an investment. I chose to go all out...but that was my personal choice. I coulda done it alot cheaper but I wanted a system to go along with my showpiece.

Adding line converter is like using a composite video cable over DVi or HDMI...you get what ya pay for. And for being "worthless"...thanks to Ebay nothing is worthless anymore. Selling used stereo parts got me through some hard times before. Worthless? Nah.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread