Can you cut the stock wheel studs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
I got the itch to try and fit the set of Prostars I have on the Cobra. Well I've pretty much cleared the tie rod and spindle part. The problem is with the wheel spacer I have, the rim will not sit up against the hub. The stock wheel studs stick out past the spacer and don't allow the back of the rim to sit flush against the hub. So my question is.... Is it possible to shave/grind down a 1/4 inch off the wheel studs. It's the part where there is no thread on it. If I were to take it down to the fist outside thread it would sit flush with the spacer. Would this be safe?

Lugshave.jpg

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Go ahead and cut the stub off, but I'd slather them with red loctite so the nut doesn't come off. Make sure that you can still see one or two threads poking through the nut when tightened down.

(that just treats a symptom of the problem though - the actual solution is to have wheels made with the correct offset so a spacer isnt needed. especially one that thick! zowie!)

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Go ahead and cut the stub off, but I'd slather them with red loctite so the nut doesn't come off. Make sure that you can still see one or two threads poking through the nut when tightened down.

(that just treats a symptom of the problem though - the actual solution is to have wheels made with the correct offset so a spacer isnt needed. especially one that thick! zowie!)

I agree it's going to be quite the hack job but it should work out. I run those spacers all the time now. It's no just for the Slicks. Thanks for the input John.

It's a H&R 25mm(1") Spacer.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
I did just that on my car. 1" H&R spacers. Cut the studs with a cutoff tool and be very clean about it. Cut is square. The edges of each stud will have to b e chamferred and sanded to a slight taper li,ke the original stud.

Do Not put any locktite on the studs. Torque them to spec.

I have had this setup on my car for 2 years and I beat the crap out of it drifting.. no issues ever.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go ahead and buy a die (1/2" - 20) to clean up the threads after you cut them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread