Can we talk Nitto Tires???

86caprirs

Established Member
I had the Nitto NT05's on all 4 corners. I replaced the front tires with the NT555 in the front. Now my rear tires are at the wear bars (NT05) and I need to replace them before I go to the Mustang show. I am looking into the NT555R and the NT555RII to match the front tires. What are your guy's opinions on them. I don't drag race the car at the track, but I do like to drop the skinny pedal on a street drive.

Thanks guys.

whi tri

Established Member
I was never a fan of nittos for traction but they do work in the rain better then mickeys that's for sure.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I had the Nitto NT05's on all 4 corners. I replaced the front tires with the NT555 in the front. Now my rear tires are at the wear bars (NT05) and I need to replace them before I go to the Mustang show. I am looking into the NT555R and the NT555RII to match the front tires. What are your guy's opinions on them. I don't drag race the car at the track, but I do like to drop the skinny pedal on a street drive.

Thanks guys.

At your power level the 555R will be perfect for the street. I am making about the same power as you and these do good on the street . When I went to the track I cut a few low 1.7 60 ft.s with these. On the street when its cool out they spin a little but on warm days they do really well.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
^^^I concur. NT555Rs will be perfect for your power level and the car will be faster than before now that you'll have traction. You'll love them at the power level and they last a decent amount of time and they're decent if you happen to get caught in the rain. The 315/35/17 will fit on the stock 17x9 wheel with just a slight bulge, nothing major. That's what I ran. They'll also fit on the 10.5 Replica too since that's the wheel size they're made for.

86caprirs

Established Member
Well I have 295/35r18 on my FR500 deep dish wheels right now. They rub the wheel lip over bumps. Won't the 315's be worse? or should I dolly the lips over? I'm thinking I should roll the wheel lips anyway.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have the 555R's. They hold decently for the power level I have. I went with them to match my nittos in the front and with the tread design I thought they could hand rain better than most DRs, even though my car is a nice weather only car.

Swervedriver

Established Member
I ran 555Rs for years on the IRS at several different power levels. With pressure dropped down to 16psi they would hold my 560rwhp eaton + spray setup (long nitrous line with no purge) from a 2nd gear roll (once the tires were warmed up with a couple of rolling burnouts).

When I put the KB on it they'd spin through 2nd everytime although it was moving forward. It was easy to just lightly pedal the car through it.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I'd only ever run NT01's, 05's and 05R's. The 555r's have historically always lets me down with traction issues. They turn to glass in the rain and I've never been impressed.

86caprirs

Established Member
Hmmm. I don't drive in the rain at all but if I do I want to have traction on the freeway with them. I would do just the NT555 in the rear but I was unsure if I would burn them out fast on hard acceleration. Honestly I don't drive the car a lot untill summer. But even then it is local car shows and the odd drive in the city. This year I have to drive a 2000km round trip twice for a Cobra Show in Surrey,BC and then the International Mustang Show in Vancouver,BC at the end of August. I want to make sure my tires are in great condition because of the speed and inspection traps that will be going on in that province.

I was looking at the Nitto site. I run 275/35r18 NT555 up front and 295/35r18 NT05 rear. NT555 max at 285/35r18 , NT555R are either a 285 or a 305/35r18. I already rub with the 295's now and they are an inch wider then the 295's.

Last edited:

POISNUS04

Established Member
I hae NT05 315/35R17 in the back with 450rwhp and they do pretty good on warm days. If I could have shelled out another couple hundred bucks I would have sprung for the R888's. But I drive 2500 miles a year and live in MN. One season with the NT05's and I have not complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread