Can we run 28in tall tire????

JASPERSVT

BOOST, my anti drug.
Established Member
Ive been looking at buying a set of drag radials here recently. I've got another question, can cobras clear a 28in tall tire. My car is still 4x4 so I think I should be able to but I really don't know. They will be mounted on 17s also.
And I did search but no luck. If there's threads out there, link them.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes, you can easily run a 28" tire on our cars. As long as the backspacing is correct and it's not slammed. You won't have any problems at all. Plus it will soak up some shock from the launch and your IRS will have a better chance at living.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Can we run anything taller? I found a Hoosier I like for a 16" rim but it is taller than 28"

JASPERSVT

BOOST, my anti drug.
Established Member
Thanks Posi, my car is still got the 4x4 stance. The rims I had planned on putting them on are just some stock gt rims, so I'm sure no backspacing, could I still run then?

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Yes, you can easily run a 28" tire on our cars. As long as the backspacing is correct and it's not slammed. You won't have any problems at all. Plus it will soak up some shock from the launch and your IRS will have a better chance at living.

Well said...plus I have 4.10s...a winning combo...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Can we run anything taller? I found a Hoosier I like for a 16" rim but it is taller than 28"

You're probably talking about the full slicks they sell. I believe they were 28 x 10 x 16. I run those and they are about 28 3/4" tall. Mine rub a little but it's sitting pretty low now. You would probably have to roll your fenderlips for those to fit. Unless your car is stock height.

Thanks Posi, my car is still got the 4x4 stance. The rims I had planned on putting them on are just some stock gt rims, so I'm sure no backspacing, could I still run then?

Hopefully someone else will chime in on that because I don't have any experience with those rims.

NITROS COBRA

Established Member
Yes, 28 are fine, again depends on if it is lowered and the backspacing. 5.5 to 6.0 inch backspace seems to work right on the $. I intend to install the 295/65 r 15 on mine. They are 30.0 inch diameter. I will get back in a couple weeks to tell you how they fit.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
The reason I ask is; Hoosier makes a tire that measures 11.5" wide and 33.4" tall for a 16" rim. It probably won't fit though. My car is stock ride height.

Users who are viewing this thread