Can waiters make good money.....

ArkangelX3

Established Member
at a place like Macaroni Grill??? I know its long hours, tough work, and sometimes rude customers, but overall anyone think you can make decent money? I Know one wouldnt become rich, but any input would be welcome....

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
I don't know about your state, but some allow companies to pay you less than minimum wage if you receive tips. I believe if the tips + pay = minimum wage then they don't have to pay you min. wage.

I've never waited tables, so I'd definitely check in to it. Obviously it's not a job where you're going to make a lot of money or everyone would want to do it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
depending on state, Servers only make minimum wage. they can get raises, but i dont think any state allows them to be paid under min wage.

i was a server for 4 years at this little resturant in our mall. made good money, about 1000$ a month. 400$ was actual pay, the rest tips. of course being in a mall, business came and went with the seasons or holidays. christmas time i could bring home 100$ a day(we have small tables, 2-3$ tips at most) and december-jan months i could gander around 3k cold hard cash.

but alas, it is very un-stable income. you save when you do get a good run, because a dry spell is right around the corner.

i got out of that stuff a couple months ago and landed a job making 2x the amount of money, paid the same amount every week, salary, benefits, etc.

if youre young, go for it. as far as career wise, unless you really like it or are really good at it and taking the stress, id find something else. but if youre good and work at the right places, you can bring home 300$ a night.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I always tip my servers 20% minimum, its a hard living and I can respect someone doing this type of difficult work. Anytime you have to deal with the general american public, not to mention most are overweight, and their food, its a tough job.

Good luck

YELOSNK

Established Member
You'll prob. make about $15/hr. on average (after tax) at Macaroni grill. After you get some good experience, try and get a job at the nicest restaurant in your area and if you are good you will make a rediculous amount. I worked all last summer in a restaurant and I am currently working at a very upscale steak restaurant (avg. $100 a person). You will friggin bust your ass on busy days, but time goes fast and you make good money.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Hmmm....the last time I went anywhere reasonably nice was this last spring when I took a few clients out to dinner one evening. There were seven of us at the table & we had a private room, five course meal w/ wine pairings for each course, and two waitstaff persons taking care of us at all times. The tip I left at the end of the night was $335. So the answer is yes, you can make some money working in the right restaurant.

YELOSNK

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
Hmmm....the last time I went anywhere reasonably nice was this last spring when I took a few clients out to dinner one evening. There were seven of us at the table & we had a private room, five course meal w/ wine pairings for each course, and two waitstaff persons taking care of us at all times. The tip I left at the end of the night was $335. So the answer is yes, you can make some money working in the right restaurant.

Exactly. Get some experience at Macaroni and then find the best most upscale/high profile restaurant around and get yourself a job there. You will make a killing.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
thomas91169 said:
i was a server for 4 years at this little resturant in our mall. made good money, about 1000$ a month.

Whoa - $1,000 a month (before taxes) is poverty level. It equates to about $6 / hour before taxes, about $4 / hours after taxes.

I do know waiters at upscale restaurants where the average dinner bill per diner is $60-$100, and the tips average 18%. Now that can be good money. I do not see how any waiter can make a good living when the per meal cost is low, as income is usually a low hourly wage supplemented by tips which are a percentage of the meal cost (and in a cheap restaurant you're lucky to break 8%).

blwn306

Established Member
my sister waited and man she was makeing some good money..she always had atleast 200 bucks cash on here..which is not bad for a 17 yr old..but she only got paid uh..2.50 an hr..but here tips were always good..and that was at wing stop or something like that..its okay money..for like a college student..dont know too many people living off of it..but you can..if you landed the right job..

crzgrksnake said:
Where does she work, Mexico? That's ridiculous 2.50 an hour!

The minimum wage does not apply to waitresses or waiter in a lot of states because they make tips.

Also, the poster above you made my head hurt. Why can't anyone type a coherent sentence anymore, let alone a coherent paragraph?!

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
blwn306 said:
my sister waited and man she was makeing some good money..she always had atleast 200 bucks cash on here..which is not bad for a 17 yr old..but she only got paid uh..2.50 an hr..but here tips were always good..and that was at wing stop or something like that..its okay money..for like a college student..dont know too many people living off of it..but you can..if you landed the right job..

So that's the slang nowadays for the worlds oldest profession?

J/K man! My pseudo ex-fiance waited tables in high school and always had ~$100 cash on her.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
One of my friends used to wait tables at a upscale mexican place that catered to tourists in "old town" albuquerque and she made like $2.50 a hour but still made mad cash in tips!!! It probally helped that she is hot as heck but it is possible to make good money on tips!

SinisterSHO

Machine of Hate
Established Member
There is usually a different minimum wage for servers. But, if you want to make good money, dont work for a chain. Most of them have rules on who you tip out at the end of the night. You have to give the bartenders and bus boys 5% of your tips. If its not a chain, you give them what you want. And cash tips are always tax free.

Users who are viewing this thread