CAN U HELP?

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
:shrug: Hey guys, posted this question in the Tech section but didnt get a response, so I hope that maybe someone here can help. Ever so often, I get the "CHK ENGINE" light..usually when I do a little hard shifting....RPMs usually at 4500 to 5000. Anyways, I took it to Autozone and got the code
P1516 IMRC input control error-bank 1....or something like that.
After a few hrs the CHK ENGINE light turns off. Has anyone come across the same problem and is it serious?? Thx in advance.

1998 COBRA
22000 miles (original)
No Mods, all stock

Javi

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
It's a problem with the Intake Runner Manifold Control on the Passenger side of the engine. It may be sticking or something...not really sure what to tell you to do.

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
powercobra98......did you encounter this problem @ somepoint? By the way, just checked out your site....very nice COBRA. You kept your car looking very very clean, yet agressive w/ the front spoiler and saleen wing. My compliments.

Javi

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Thanks for the compliments! :D

About your problem, no, I haven't encountered this myself. I know that other people have though. I just have some knowledge of the codes and what they mean. I would think your best bet would be to call a service dept. and go from there. Thing is the light goes off which means the problem is fixing itself. SO I think this means that the runner may be sticking and then unsticking. It's not really a big deal though. It won't hurt your engine. The runner control just open the other set of intake ports at 3200rpm to facilitate more air flow into the engine. So whether or not it's sticking open or shut would determine if you're getting more or less power. It may be something you might want to get looked at though.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
We've had a few of these threads in the past. One of our members bought the new control module and went to install it. He took the upper intake off and found it was only a loose connection on the control module causing it. I know it isn't a guarantee, however we've seen this a few times. It might also be a free fix this way too. :beer:

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Thank you gentlemen for you responses..the car is still under warranty, so I'll be making some calls. Thanks again.

Jav

Users who are viewing this thread