Can this ET and MPH be right?

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
I took my car to the track for the second time on Friday and got some seemingly contradictory numbers:

Best run:

R/T - .727
60' - 1.840
330 - 5.136
1/8 - 7.881
MPH - 89.68
1000 - 10.256
1/4 - 12.445
MPH - 97.18

Typical run:

R/T - 1.138
60' - 2.301
330 - 5.980
1/8 - 8.918
MPH - 83.97
1000 - 11.426
1/4 - 13.531
MPH - 106.82

This is the second time ever for me and the car. Could I really have made a 12.4 sec run at 97.18 mph? :shrug: I didn't have my best shift into 3rd, but I certainly didn't miss it. The launch was incredible (lucky!) but the Corvette in the other lane jumped me out of the hole and pulled me by about 1 car length the entire run. My car is stock except for a K&N FIPK (pn 57-2523-1) and a Pro 5.0 shifter. Track is Houston Raceway Park in Baytown, just about sea level, temp probably about 85 deg. No idea on pressure or humidity.

First dyno numbers are waiting on the Magnaflow X-Pipe and catback from the GP (Thanks again Jon!). Chip and pulley and more dyno numbers will come soon after. Valentine One radar detector adds peace of mind on the street and window tint adds comfort, but I don't think they add anything at the rear wheels! ;-)

Anyone with more drag racing experience have any comments on the good ET and low trap speed? I want to believe the CompuLink StarTrak numbers, but that 12.4 ET seems too low for a basically stock car, inexperienced driver, especially given the low trap speed.

Thanks,

key2you

Established Member
I have been to my local race track 4 times. I have done nothing to my cobra(at this time) to enhance it's performance. My 60 foot time is usually high (usually in the neighborhood of 2.2-2.3. My fastest 60ft time is 2.17 but I'm consistantly running 13.2/13.3 at over 105mph. The fastest time I've been able to mustard is 13.02 1/4mile et and that was with a 2.21 60ft. Now at least 1/2 the time that I ran it was hot and high humidity. I use to have a 1996 cobra and my 60ft time was a consistant 1.9/2.0. I'm not a professional but I am not bad when it comes to racing. The time you quoted is outstanding. You might have hit everything just right. Your the first I've heard of running so well, in mid summer, with the cobra. I figure w/ a better 60ft (1.8/1.9) I would be somewhere around 12.6-12.7. So be happy w/ that time cause not many people have seen that number yet (the ones w/no mods). Well I'm still getting use to this car so hopefully I will be down in your area soon.

bender460

Established Member
To me that first time slip does look wrong, but the way you described it (good launch no missed shifts) maybe just the MPH is off:shrug: Your averang is about right if you look at my sig. 60' times are a big part of a good ET, my best ET included my best 60' . Practice makes perfect! Happy racing:thumbsup:

degradated

Established Member
To me, everything looks right except for the MPH on the first run. My guess is that you let off before the marker at the end which is why the trap speed is so low. But you still ran a 12.4, so it's pretty confusing. There's no way that your car gained only 7.5 mph in the last 1/8 stretch, so either their timing system is wrong or you accidentally let off just before the end. The only other instances I see cars doing great E.Ts and low traps is when they coast through the traps. Can you post the slip? Great run if all you have is an intake.

Users who are viewing this thread