Can someone verify belt size, whipple 2.9

Nsssane1

Established Member
Well got the new 2.9 on and of course I cant get the belt on, I have 3.25 pulley 10% lower and stock everything else,using a Gates Green 85 7/8" belt seems way short, if so what did you use. thanks

Van@RevanRacing

Well got the new 2.9 on and of course I cant get the belt on, I have 3.25 pulley 10% lower and stock everything else,using a Gates Green 85 7/8" belt seems way short, if so what did you use. thanks

Gates Heavy Duty Green Belts - Revan Racing, Inc.

According to my chart which has been accumulated with numerous customers the belt you need is a 85.2 Gates

I sell the Gates HD Green K100852HD

Are you sure you have everything routed correctly? I've seen this happen a number of times.

Blackmax

Established Member

I have same set up and had same problem, the 85.2 didn't fit. I think the guy I bought it from here also had the same problem. lol My tuner bought one from NAPA I think but I don't have the size. Works good though and no slip so far.

Nsssane1

Established Member
Yeah Van I bought the K100852HD from you, I drew out the belt layout so I know it is on correct, I have the tensioner as far as it will go and not really close. Had the 85.2 on my old stock setup with 2.6 upper and appears that belt was at max tension, and this whipple has larger pulley.

Man I need that Napa size.

Nsssane1

Established Member
After doing some diging I believe its a Napa 100860hd belt, Van would you have a Gates 86 5/8" belt.

Nsssane1

Established Member
I just went ahead and ordered the Napa 100860HD belt at $76 and be here Monday, I'll post back if it is indeed the correct belt.

Van@RevanRacing

I just went ahead and ordered the Napa 100860HD belt at $76 and be here Monday, I'll post back if it is indeed the correct belt.

That's strange. I've had guys with the same set up and the 85.2 fit. Please let me know what your fitment is. I have 86.4 in HD Green but I have verified my belt chart with a number of different members. In fact it fits from 3.00 to 3.375 with a 10% OD. Did you remove the 90 MM Idler and install the OEM idler on the tensioner or the do you have a 90 MM Idler underneath the intercooler inlet / oulet?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Van, I ordered the green belt from you to hopefully end my belt slip on my 2.9 Whipple (3" pulley). I think it is waiting for me when I get home from a trip. I hope it works!

Nsssane1

Established Member
I didn't remove anything just trying to get it back like it was. Here's what it looks like.

photo-2.jpg

Van@RevanRacing

I didn't remove anything just trying to get it back like it was. Here's what it looks like.

photo-2.jpg

That auxiliary idler is the problem. Take it out and voila!

Here is the problem with an auxiliary idler like what you have. It puts additional pressure on the blower snout. It can cause preliminary and catastrophic failure of the internal gears in the front snout of the blower. It literally "pulls" on the blower snout and the blower isn't designed for that added "pressure" Your belt will fit if you eliminate the aux idler and you'll not cause damage to your supercharger. Kenne Bell will not warrant their supercharger if you use these aux idlers. They are not needed.

You might need a 90 MM idler to take up some slack "half an inch" but you could be ok with the belt and removal of the aux idler.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member

Here is the problem with an auxiliary idler like what you have. It puts additional pressure on the blower snout. It can cause preliminary and catastrophic failure of the internal gears in the front snout of the blower. It literally "pulls" on the blower snout and the blower isn't designed for that added "pressure" Your belt will fit if you eliminate the aux idler and you'll not cause damage to your supercharger. Kenne Bell will not warrant their supercharger if you use these aux idlers. They are not needed.

You might need a 90 MM idler to take up some slack "half an inch" but you could be ok with the belt and removal of the aux idler.

This sounds like something I heard on the phone a couple days ago when asking if an aux idler would fix my slip issues.

Nsssane1

Established Member

Thats the one under those two coolant tubes.

Van@RevanRacing

OBTW, that fuel hose going over the top of the blower isn't a good idea. The blower will get extremely hot under boost and heat the fuel thus reducing octane. Kenne Bell reroutes the fuel line around the back of the supercharger due to the heat. Just an FYI.

Nsssane1

Established Member
Ok I'll check into the fuel line, well I got it almost on with tensioner pushed all the way down still wont go on. close though.

Van@RevanRacing

Ok I'll check into the fuel line, well I got it almost on with tensioner pushed all the way down still wont go on. close though.

Either get rid of the aux idler or back it off to the the weakest pressure setting. I hate those damn things. They are not good for supercharger gears and that is why I don't sell them.

Nsssane1

Established Member
Yeah I removed the Aux idler completely. The belt is in all the grooves and routed correctly.But still a tad short.

Blackmax

Established Member
Either get rid of the aux idler or back it off to the the weakest pressure setting. I hate those damn things. They are not good for supercharger gears and that is why I don't sell them.

I'm glad you warned me about those idlers earlier Van :beer: I'm playing with different pullies and will soon order a 90mm idler and perhaps Thumper or other way around.lol Do you have a kit to re-route the fuel line over the blower?

Van@RevanRacing

Yeah I removed the Aux idler completely. The belt is in all the grooves and routed correctly.But still a tad short.

Ok. Good. You could probably benefit from the Thump Tensioner as it uses a 66 MM Ilder and well you're going to make some power. Not trying to sell you stuff but the thump tensioner gives added spaced "1/2" and then you should be good. If it's on you're good but if you need a little space the thump gives you the added space and it is much better than oem especially with this level of tension.

I'm glad you warned me about those idlers earlier Van :beer: I'm playing with different pullies and will soon order a 90mm idler and perhaps Thumper or other way around.lol Do you have a kit to re-route the fuel line over the blower?

Sorry brother, I don't have a kit. You basically have to remove the fuel rails and get some fuel line to re-route around the back of the blower. Watch the EGR when re-routing.

Users who are viewing this thread