Can someone share some insight on those that eliminated the stock oil cooler

brownsvo

Chrome of Mystic
Established Member
here is a rough diagram on my setup. I'm running a 180* thermostat in a MMR housing after the radiator. it has a plug I was able to run the overflow tank to before the thermostat. I opted for the Y-Block with the radiator cap option, but I'm using the hole to run my temp sensor. My issue is I'm not sure if I'm getting it hot enough for the thermostat to open so coolant will flow towards the engine. I had it idling in my garage for the last 15min checking for leaks and it doesn't seem like its heating up. Heater is blowing hot so I believe it has coolant back there.. just worried I'm going to run it dry or something ridiculous. Does my setup make sense at least or did I miss something critical? I opened the spot on the sensor at the Y-Block to "bleed" any air, but I'm just getting coolant coming out. Thermostat works, i checked it by boiling water. 180*, fully open at like 210.

Attachments

• coolant setup.png
    coolant setup.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
The arrow by your y block is in the wrong direction. The hot water comes out of the engine and into the radiator through the top hose.
I eliminated the oil cooler and the rest of the rats nest that is the factory hoses. Mine gets to temp, 190ish, in about 10 mins.

brownsvo

Chrome of Mystic
Established Member
The arrow by your y block is in the wrong direction. The hot water comes out of the engine and into the radiator through the top hose.
I eliminated the oil cooler and the rest of the rats nest that is the factory hoses. Mine gets to temp, 190ish, in about 10 mins.
Think of it as a Y, not an arrow lol. Sorry for confusion. Just making sure the overflow before the thermostat is right, or should I flip the housing and make the overflow plug in after the thermostat for pre 200* operations.

brownsvo

Chrome of Mystic
Established Member
Let the car idle in my driveway for about 15min and never really went over 180. Drove to work and again, never went over 200ish, it just hit 200ish and dropped to 170s at some point so I thought my tstat opened and my sensor was malfunctioning due to low coolant.

-My thoughts are that I have an air bubble somewhere. My current setup would make it impossible to bleed due to thermostat location.
-placing the thermostat on the bottom is counter productive. I need hot coolant to open it up and circulate, but it won't get hot when it's stuck at the radiator.
-thermostat doesn't have any holes. I should drill some.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
You can buy the cobra engineering crossover delete it has a fill/burp port on the top so you can bleed the system just like factory.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread