Can someone replicate a discontinued forged wheel?

JMoraru

Established Member
So a few years ago I traded my car for a Viper. When I traded the Mustang, it had a set of American Racing GT40 forged wheels on it. Long story short, I got rid of the Viper and ended up buying the Mustang back, but the guy had completely ruined one of the wheels (even the center core is bent) in the short time he had the car.

I went through a ton of trouble trying to find a new wheel and finally came across someone who was involved in the department that manufactured the wheels. They told me American Racing was bought out and the program had been cut. They tried to see if they could help track down the program to replicate the wheel without much luck. It was like they were non-existent. I was told probably a handful of sets were ever made and I only was able to find one other car online that had the wheels, but that really didnt help much. The guy thought they might be able to try to replicate it, but he really make it sound to confidence inspiring so I let the idea die off for a few years.

Anyways, I still have 3 of the wheels sitting in storage. I was told the barrels are pretty standard, so I would think I would just need to find a way to get a new center forged and put one wheel back together. Does anyone know if this can be done? How hard would it be for someone to program an exact replica of the wheel?

The wheels I have on the car now are similar design, but I'd really like to get these wheels back on the car.
mustangshelbywheels.jpg

Here is a better pic that shows the detail of the wheel on the other car I found:
IMG_0614.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
Why not send a PM to Steve, at True Forged?

He's probably the best guy to answer your question with regards to how feasible it is.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
^That is a good suggestion.

I can't tell you how much exactly as I am not in the industry, but I can say it won't be cheap if they only plan on making one for you. Easiest way for anyone to replicate it is to have a good center piece sent out to get digitally scanned so they can create a CNC program. Then there is the cost of the CAM operator to create the program, plus any testing they need to do to ensure the wheel meets all safety standards. Plus any dies that may need to be made.

Zemedici

Established Member
Why not send a PM to Steve, at True Forged?

He's probably the best guy to answer your question with regards to how feasible it is.

Exactly what I was thinking :beer:

If anyone can do it, Steve is your man. I'd explain the situation, and he'd probably want a wheel to take measurements of, and they could cut you one

oldmodman

Established Member
As was already said. Any decent machining center can take the files from a scanner/follower and reproduce the center section of your wheel. Then take the center to a wheel builder and have the correct wheel welded to it on their centering/welding fixture.

It won't be as cheap as finding an undamaged used wheel but it may be your only out.

And since you are having one made it might be worth it to have a few sets made and go into the wheel reselling business. After all, look how well AFS has made out selling knock off wheels from China.

Users who are viewing this thread