Can someone explain custom Lund Tuning to me?

adrunk3nh0b0

Established Member
I realize this is a very vague question and will require a rather long explanation but i am very interested in tuning my car and I want to know how it works

I heard of remote tuning through the use of a computer.....in that case do you still need to purchase a tuner?

How much does it cost? If I change my mods after tuning do I just contact them and get another one?

Alfie

Established Member
I realize this is a very vague question and will require a rather long explanation but i am very interested in tuning my car and I want to know how it works

I heard of remote tuning through the use of a computer.....in that case do you still need to purchase a tuner?

How much does it cost? If I change my mods after tuning do I just contact them and get another one?

Yes you still need a tuner to flash your car as they email only files that u have to load in your tuner.

After you car has wen tuned. If you change anything you will need a retune. Always ask your tuner before installing parts to make sure.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You can buy an SCT tuner direct from Lund or a distributor such as Van and then you load the tune through the OBDII port. You can then do remote tuning through email while the car ison a Dyno or after road or track datalogs. Lund also leaves parameters open such as gear ratio, etc and also does some free retuned although with our dual wideband O2s it may not be needed. I drove my car 100% stock with a Lundmail order tune and then when I installed gears and taller drag radials I adjusted the SCT device for this. I've had a great experience so far.
-J

Tytus2012

Established Member
To add to this the tuner is about 250 and usually has a tune already loaded on to it. Custom tunes u have to pay for the dyno time and then Lund charges like $450 I believe. A custom tune is where u do a dyno run and he adjusts it according to YOUR car. The only difference between a remote tune and the tuner being there is the tuner actually being there Lol. The SCT is very easy to use.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep and to clarify, you don't need to do any Dyno tuning with our cars and basic mods, you can by a device loaded with a tune plug it in and burn rubber.
-J

Tytus2012

Established Member
Warranty works like this. They have to prove that whatever part you put on caused they part that failed to void your warranty. If your ac goes out they can't say ur warranty is void because u have a intake

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
How does this affect the warranty? I hear it will void the factory power train warranty.

Johnny, there are many threads on this.

It doesn't simply void the warranty, but if a ford part fails and the dealer/ford determine that the tune was to blame, then they can void.

However, if you have a tune, and your right rear shock blows, or your window motor stops working, or your caliper hangs, or your radio quits. They're all still covered.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
How does this affect the warranty? I hear it will void the factory power train warranty.
That is the one thing holding me back from tuning my GT500, Im very confident that if I did get the car tuned the engine would still live a long and happy life, but if something goes wrong with the engine its game over. Now I haven't herd of too many 13/14s having engine issues. But i'm going to wait a year or two and before I start going crazy with mods on my car.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I was gonna wait too, but then I had an epiphany. Your warranty is 3-36, and I drove my 2008 GT500 a LOT, and in 3 years I only racked up 17k miles. (At least half of those were cross country Shelby events miles)

While it is a good idea to wait a "while" to make sure your car doesnt have a defective part, after a couple thousand miles, you might as well just go ahead and have fun with it. Unless you do something really stupid mod wise, your drivetrain can easily take on another 150 HP or so without any issues. If you are like most owners and only drive it 3-6k miles a year, you will almost certainly be out of the warranty period before you even hit half your warranty mileage, and lets face it, the chances are slim to none that you have a major warranty issue in that time frame/distance.

Be sensible in your mod selections though. Some tuners will get you more HP than Lund. I use Lund on every one of my vehicles BECAUSE he doesnt squeeze it for all its got. His tunes are safe and reliable, but great increases over stock.

I have headers and a Lund tune/CAI/TB. Then I added a lower pulley in order to get my HP and Torque balanced. Im sitting somewhere around 750 HP at the rear wheels, and it was no big deal to do. Im really REALLY happy with my car's performance at this point. I'll add tires in the spring, and probably call it a day for this build.

Users who are viewing this thread