can some1 explain the diff between motors?

MUKAK

Established Member
am in the market for a 99-04 stang but not too familiar with modular motors...

1) whats the diff between the years 99-04 when it comes to performance?

2) whats the diff between 99-01 Cobra Engine and the Regular GT?

3) and what year do u guys recommend?

thanks

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
You can get the basics here...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine]Ford Modular engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
99-04 motors are all the same power wise although I have heard that the 04 was the strongest for some reason, ive yet to see this proven.

99-01 cobra motors have 4 valves per cylinder instead of 2 like the GT. the heads, cams, intakes, and just about everything but the block are much different.

If you can find a nice 99-01 cobra i would say go for that, they are kinda cheap right now. I had a 01 and I loved that car. GT's can also be had very cheap right now and with a few bolt ons and gears and a good driver can run with or beat the 99-01 cobra, ive done it with the car in my sig. For a performance platform to build on I say go with the GT. If your looking for a cruiser and comfort then get the cobra.....its still fast.

Last edited:

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
ohh yea?

tell me more please... thanks

the 99-2000 GT had the T-45, same as the 96-98 GT's. The 2001-04 GT's, 01cobras and 03-04 mach 1 had the TR-3650. The 3650 is a hunk of shit, The one in my 01 cobra fell apart at 42k miles. Ford put out a TSb on these but never a recall and if Im correct there is still a large group of stang owners that are part of a class action suit against ford over this. Some are good, its hit and miss with them. The T-45 imo is a much stronger trans. The one in my 97 has 126k on it and shifts great, makes no noise or anything. Hell I had less problems with the T-5's in my 2 fox bodies.

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
1) Every Cobra until 2003 had an aluminum block.
2) 3650 didn't come in till mid-year 2001. My 2001 GT had a T-45.
3) Cobra is better in every way... if you really want a drag car, swap in a solid axle.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
99-04 motors are all the same power wise although I have heard that the 04 was the strongest for some reason, ive yet to see this proven.

99-01 cobra motors have 4 valves per cylinder instead of 2 like the GT. the heads, cams, intakes, and just about everything but the block are much different.

If you can find a nice 99-01 cobra i would say go for that, they are kinda cheap right now. I had a 01 and I loved that car. GT's can also be had very cheap right now and with a few bolt ons and gears and a good driver can run with or beat the 99-01 cobra, ive done it with the car in my sig. For a performance platform to build on I say go with the GT. If your looking for a cruiser and comfort then get the cobra.....its still fast.

whoa your saying your 97 with bolt ons and gears will outrun a 99-01? Im sorry but no way in hell. My friends cammed 97 GT with bolt ons, full exhaust, and geared couldnt keep up with my bolt on 01 GT. Whoever you raced must not can drive, sorry.

EDIT: or did you do the 04 PI swap? If so now that makes sense lol

Last edited:

MUKAK

Established Member
i really like the IRS...

and i seen some high mileage 80-90k Terminators in my area for around 14-16Gs...damm thats really cheap...

one more question guys... when do ppl rebuild they blowers on 03-04 Cobras? should i get a high mileage Cobra? or save up and get something in the 50-60K range?

tahnsk again u guys been lots of help

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
I'll sell you my cobra for 8900 if you want it, black, 5-spd, Exhaust and JLT intake, Black 'vert, with chrome wheels. In great shape.

DaBigBone

Established Member
the 99-2000 GT had the T-45, same as the 96-98 GT's. The 2001-04 GT's, 01cobras and 03-04 mach 1 had the TR-3650. The 3650 is a hunk of shit, The one in my 01 cobra fell apart at 42k miles. Ford put out a TSb on these but never a recall and if Im correct there is still a large group of stang owners that are part of a class action suit against ford over this. Some are good, its hit and miss with them. The T-45 imo is a much stronger trans. The one in my 97 has 126k on it and shifts great, makes no noise or anything. Hell I had less problems with the T-5's in my 2 fox bodies.

The 3650 really is a hit or miss. I know TONS of people who had theirs blow up with not much power at all, but I know a couple guys running 500+ with a stock 3650 and no issues. Hopefully mine holds up for a while!

01trublue cobra

Established Member
99 cobra have a standard leather seat and the back bumper says mustang, while the 01 cobra have the better seats with the suede inserts and bumber that actually says Cobra. Also some of the 99 cobra's were not putting out the power it was advertised so ford did a recall to fix the manifolds, but not all of them got done. Also the 99 cobra IRS is 28 spline halfshafts while the 01 has 31 spline. In all honesty I would go for the 03-04 cobra, nothing like a supercharged v8 with built internals and a 6-speed T56 transmission.

Indmoney

Established Member
Hey guys I'm doing a auto to 5spd swap...
I have a 99 gt counted the bolts by the heads covers u counted 13 bolts. But their is a sticker in the left heads civer that says its a ford windsor from ont. Canada just want to be sure so I dnt buy the wring flywheel and clutch

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Hey guys I'm doing a auto to 5spd swap...
I have a 99 gt counted the bolts by the heads covers u counted 13 bolts. But their is a sticker in the left heads civer that says its a ford windsor from ont. Canada just want to be sure so I dnt buy the wring flywheel and clutch

I may be wrong but I do believe all 2v's were romeo's except for 99-2000, they were windsor with the 8 bolt flywheel, not the 6 bolt like the rest.

SCMOKN

Established Member
Dont forget the 03/04 Mach1. 32valve, auto or 5 spd, solid axle and can be bought for a very reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread