Can not having a Boost Bypass Cause this?

IZBLOWN

Hey guys, i'm trying to break into the 11's and i am for sure making the HP and have the MPH to do it, but i am running into a problem, and i cant seem to find anyone else having it. When i leave the line, it launches HARD, but right before the shift into 2nd, the truck stops almost dead for a split second, then shifts into second and i am on my way, its ruining my ET and 60' times and i cant seem to find out why it is doing it. Someone mentioned to me at the dragstrip about not running a boost by-pass on the truck, i just have the solenoid unplugged so that it wont dump boost, but according to them it can still do it. The truck only does it in first gear and is fine for the rest of the way, i made a new best MPH last night at 114.44, but because it fell on it's face and only pulled a 1.73 60' i was only able to muster a 12.08, can someone shed some light on this for me. If it makes a difference i am running a KB @ 15lbs boost. Thanks for any help.

Anthony
[email protected]
01 BLK L

IZBLOWN

Sweet, thanks Larry! So just having the solenoid unplugged can caus this? Wow, i never would have thought of that! Thanks!!

Anthony

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by BLK01L
Sweet, thanks Larry! So just having the solenoid unplugged can caus this? Wow, i never would have thought of that! Thanks!!

Anthony

Sorry Anthony, I read it wrong. With it unplugged it should shift fine.

IZBLOWN

They have a bypass valve, but that is for cruising to realease pressure, but not under WOT, that is where the other one comes into play.

Anthony

IZBLOWN

Thats the thing, the solenoid is unplugged an its still doing it, but i dont know if its actually dumpng boost or not, could be something else. Feels like someone turns the key off, it the ignition cuts out, then it just takes right back off again. I cant beleive its not shifting fast enough as i am running the LFP valve body in the truck, and 28" slicks. I have no clue what is going on. Anyone else?

Anthony

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
sorry man no idea
well.......did you try the boost by pass?? who knows maybe the noid is opening up just from the vac and not the electric signal
couldnt hurt to try it only takes like 10 min

IZBLOWN

Yea im gonna do it tomorrow, but i wont really know till next friday night when i go back to the drags, that is the only place it does it at....weird, i can punch it on the street tires, spin them all the way through first, and it will shift into 2nd just fine, and the tires get moving way faster doing that than at the track, oh well. I will call JLP on monday and see what they say, im just trying to get this thing ready because i am going to the super stallions of the net meet next saturday and want to get this taken care of. Thanks for everyones help! Mush appreciated.

Anthony

camcojb

Established Member
Originally posted by BLK01L
Thats the thing, the solenoid is unplugged an its still doing it, but i dont know if its actually dumpng boost or not, could be something else. Feels like someone turns the key off, it the ignition cuts out, then it just takes right back off again. I cant beleive its not shifting fast enough as i am running the LFP valve body in the truck, and 28" slicks. I have no clue what is going on. Anyone else?

Anthony

I'm not sure about the 01's but on my 03 there's a second rpm limiter that used to do the exact thing to mine that yours is doing. It would literally shut off for a split second right before shifting to second. Never did it any other time. Sal ar PSP found it and fixed it for me.

Just a thought.

Jody

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
It could be your tune, I had a bad tune and as soon as it would hit 5200 rpms it would fall flat on its face then shift. the tune above 5.2 k was too rich and made the truck slow down untill it shifted.

IZBLOWN

CamcoJB, thanks a lot! That could very well be what it is, i will call JLP on monday, man i thought i was the only one this happened to.

Auyon, this is really "slowing down," it seriously feels like someone turned the truck off, it throws you forward inside the cab it stops so fast. Thanks for the help though, i appreciate it guys!

Anthony

camcojb

Established Member
Good luck Anthony. As I remember Sal saying it wasn't the main rev limiter/shut-off. It was a second one that only comes into play on the 1-2 shift or a kickdown into first gear from a roll. It would literally shut off just like someone turned the key off for a second, then immediately shift to second and be fine after that. Felt like a fuel cut-off as it was very sudden and violent.

Jody

John M.

Banned
You are pegging the mass air meter, my truck did it the 1st 2 passes that I ran a 6lb lower with no chip. Since I was running a Stock computer the adaptive strategies adjusted and relearned to correct the problem. When ever you run a chip, the values are forced into the PCM and truck doesnt correct.

Last edited:

IZBLOWN

Thanks Jody!

John M., i was running a C&L 95mm MAF and it still did it, switched back to stock and it was the same thing. Thanks for the idea.

Anthony

John M.

Banned
Anthony, my post was referring to the possibility that your chip is what is causing the problems with the mass air, not directly the mass air itself.

IZBLOWN

John M., i misunderstood your post, sorry. Yea, i called JDM today and they are burning me a chip, they also think that it is the chip too, i will give them a try. I put the chip to stock position for the hell of it at the drags that night to see what happened, it launched soft, but it did not stop on the 1-2 shiftso it must be something with the chip.

Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread