Can Nav be added / Turned On?

Mystic 544

Established Member
Just picked up a 2013 Escape SEL equipped with the MyFord Touch/Sirius/Sync system

It has the big touch screen with the entertainment, SYNC, dual climate controls, etc BUT it doesn't have the Navigation function :(

Anyone know of a way to add Nav - if so, how?

I noticed while stumbling through the different screens that there is a place that asks about adding apps - could Nav be one of those apps?
...Can you upgrade through SYNC?

...Is there a "Hack" out there?

Seems like this Hack option "Should" be out there...
Just guessing here - but from a cost standpoint one would think all those MyTouch systems are the same, just have to program features/functions On or Off Then the question becomes, how to turn everything ON?
Or ... maybe there is some extra hardware or parts actually needed for the Nav system to work ... Hmmmm

On the same question premise - are all the systems set up for the back up camera (ie wires run, systems in place) and if your Escape didn't come with it (like mine did not) all you need to do is put the camera out back and plug it in ... or is this another "You need more then that" situation?

?????
Sorry if question in the wrong forum - Appreciate the replies!

Tim

sleek98

Established Member
I believe you will need the lockpic for the backup camera. I know our Edge we had to get the maps in addition to the mytouch package so it might just be purchasing the maps card and the lockpic.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
The Wife's 2013 F150 has an SD card slot in it, next to the USB ports in the center console and the nav stuff is on that card.

I keep bumping it, plugging stuff into the USB ports and it freaks out sometimes.

-Brian

Mystic 544

Established Member
I believe you will need the lockpic for the backup camera. I know our Edge we had to get the maps in addition to the mytouch package so it might just be purchasing the maps card and the lockpic.

What is this "Lockpic" thing?

We have the USB and SD ports but Nothing was in them (no card)...

B-O-B'03

Established Member
What is this "Lockpic" thing?

We have the USB and SD ports but Nothing was in them (no card)...

lockpick is a device you buy and hook up to the radio, it allows you to change how it works... it is freakin' expensive though @ $349:

Lockpick Link

You should be able to get the nav SD card, but it looks like your system must already have the nav system built into it.

I found this, googling around:

"New cards are available through your dealer, or eBay which is much cheaper. The latest version is A5, which will work with all versions of MFT. just be aware that because you have the touch screen does not mean you have Navigation. If your system is saying to insert the card when you start up, then you do have navigation. If you don't get this message and you don't have an sd card inserted then you don't have navigation."

Good luck!

-Brian

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I didn't realize people still used navigation systems on cars. Phone nav systems are infinitely better

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I didn't realize people still used navigation systems on cars. Phone nav systems are infinitely better

Never use my navigation, but sometimes its nice to have the map on the screen to glance at upcoming cross streets, the street name that you are on, ect. But for nav I strictly use my phone.

Mystic 544

Established Member

hahaha ... I agree, the continuously updated Google Maps on the phone are much better - use it all the time since we recently moved to AZ from Chicago. Having to use Nav a lot and the little phone screen and it's little volume SUCKs after a while ...

Brian - appreciate the info... even though it is not the news I wanted to hear :(

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
I use Sync with my phone or tablet (Tab 4) with a dash mount for my navigation. Google maps navigation and it plays its voice updates through the car's sound system, turning down the music for the updates, and off for phone calls. Works so well I decided not to pursue getting a navigation system for the car. Shoot I even play my play list or Pandora with the phone as well.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
While agree that the function of Google Maps etc on the phone is much better, I still prefer the line of sight with in-dash nav units. That good line of sight is especially important to me if I'm travelling in a congested area that is new to me.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
While agree that the function of Google Maps etc on the phone is much better, I still prefer the line of sight with in-dash nav units. That good line of sight is especially important to me if I'm travelling in a congested area that is new to me.

and that the radio mutes when giving voice directions.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I resisted using the phone for nav, until I realized it was that much better. I use the regular map on my raptor. With the phone for navigation on blue tooth. The music still mutes when the phone calls out directions and I can see roads on the screen

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
and that the radio mutes when giving voice directions.

I stream music from my phone, so it mutes when Siri talks :coolman:

I wish you could text addresses to the car. I'd use the nav a lot more for directions if it wasn't so damn hard to put in addresses. And I also found out hotels aren't "points of interest" to Sync on my last road trip, when I had zero cell service and no idea where I was gonna stay...that was annoying

Users who are viewing this thread