Can I gut a Foxbody rear hatch?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I was looking for some ways to reduce a few more pounds on my Foxbody and saw an opportunity under the hood and inside the rear hatch.

I think I will be cutting the inner supports/bracing under the hood since I'm using hood pins but was wondering if I could do the same with the rear hatch. I'm still using the stock latching mechanism on the rear so I'm not sure if this will work. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on gutting the rear hatch on a Foxbody?

Thanks!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I've never worried much about weight behind the b pillars. Work on reducing weight on the front end of the car.

shlbygt

Established Member
I was looking for some ways to reduce a few more pounds on my Foxbody and saw an opportunity under the hood and inside the rear hatch.

I think I will be cutting the inner supports/bracing under the hood since I'm using hood pins but was wondering if I could do the same with the rear hatch. I'm still using the stock latching mechanism on the rear so I'm not sure if this will work. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on gutting the rear hatch on a Foxbody?

Thanks!
H.O Fibertrends
They designed the hood for the 95 Cobra R and make hoods for Ford Racing.
I have their hood and hatch on my 86 SVO.
Their SVO hood was 20lbs lighter than the Ford part and the hatch came in at 31lbs lighter than stock when using the original glass.The rear glass is the highest weight percentage item in the hatch assembly.
Since mine is an 86, I was able to swap out the steel bumper supports for the earlier aluminum ones for a 33lb reduction. Later models can use aftermarket tubular versions.
The Ford Racing drive shaft saved 11lbs.
An aluminum flywheel dropped 12lbs.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have one of those fiberglass rear hatches in my garage. It is amazing how light it is. Without the glass I can hold it at arms length, to the side, with 2 fingers.

David Hester

Established Member
The rear glass is heavy. I always took it out and had local glass company cut me a piece of plexiglass to fit. Used stock glue strips and 8 rivets to secure along with 2 1" strips as required by SCCA. I think I still have 1 rear glass in garage now. Sold the other 2.

Users who are viewing this thread