Can I Drive This To The Tuner Without A Chip?

snakeeyes99

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm installing a vortech with aftercooler on my 99 cobra. I live about 15 miles away from the tuner. Can I drive it there without damaging the engine or should I just get it towed there? I don't want to take a chance.

I've heard mixed things from different people. Any tuners, please step in with your advice. Thanks.

TheOne™

Established Member
yeah just don't get into boost(with that kit i guess shifts @ 2.5k rpm and no more)

(on the other hand, can't he just run without the supercharger pipes installed? just like havin the stock intake + maf)

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I would install everything and then dont do the inlet piping, lay the stock inake in there and plug your stock maf into it close the hood and drive away

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
I would install everything and then dont do the inlet piping, lay the stock inake in there and plug your stock maf into it close the hood and drive away

How is he going to do this if he has bigger injectors?

Ask the tuner if he can give you a base tune to get the car to the dyno. Most of the time they just do the MAF tansfer function and the car will run fine. Just make sure not to get into boost until you get it on the dyno.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
STOKED said:
How is he going to do this if he has bigger injectors?

Ask the tuner if he can give you a base tune to get the car to the dyno. Most of the time they just do the MAF tansfer function and the car will run fine. Just make sure not to get into boost until you get it on the dyno.
DOH!! I guess my mind is elsewhere tonight, no need to fiesty :shrug:

SGL

Banned
STOKED said:
Ask the tuner if he can give you a base tune to get the car to the dyno. Most of the time they just do the MAF tansfer function and the car will run fine.

That is the best way to do it. I drove 20 miles to the dyno using a chip that had an "approximate" tune. Worked like a charm.

01KBGT

Established Member
Asked my tuner the exact same question 3 weeks ago. As long as the car runs well enough to drive, stay our of boost and you should be fine.

wallie40

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
That is the best way to do it. I drove 20 miles to the dyno using a chip that had an "approximate" tune. Worked like a charm.

+1 base tune to the tuner, ran fine.

98svtconvert

Established Member
as long as it isn't knocking or pinging you should be fine. just stay out of boost, but a base tune would be the safest bet. that is what i had from KB and it worked fine it was just really really rich. good luck and have fun with the new toy.

Justin

D ABLO

Established Member
Yeah Like Above You Should Be Fine If You Stay Out Of Boost You Pcm Can Make Ajustments For Some Of It. Just Take It Easy And Really Babt It!

Users who are viewing this thread