Can I copy a dvd to my hard drive?

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
Warning, dumb question ahead.:uh oh:

I have a dvd from a video camera of some open track footage. Can I somehow copy that to my hard drive with Windows Media Player in order to send portions/clips of my car to friends? Or do I need a special software that I can hopefully find free on the internet, to accomplish this? Thanks, Tim

TJSwoboda

Established Member
You'll need special software; I have Xilisoft DVD Ripper 4.

In case you need to know this later, don't forget that for going the other way--file to DVD--it has to be in ISO format first so you'd need special software for that, too.

--T.J.

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
TJSwoboda said:
You'll need special software; I have Xilisoft DVD Ripper 4.

In case you need to know this later, don't forget that for going the other way--file to DVD--it has to be in ISO format first so you'd need special software for that, too.

--T.J.
OK, thanks, I finally found a site I am downloading from. Hope it works out. Maybe I should get my son to help me...lol

Ok, it installed and it looks user friendly. Is .avi or .wmv or other the best extension to use to capture a short dvd clip of my car that I could email?

Last edited:

PDubs

Established Member
wmv might be smaller. You can always post it on YouTube or similar and give the recipient a link to it.

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
PDubs said:
wmv might be smaller. You can always post it on YouTube or similar and give the recipient a link to it.
The shareware free trial only gives me 5 minutes, and I tried .avi, but it does not show video, only sound. So I'm trying .wmv since that is a windows file that media player should like (like I really know what I'm doing here):eek:

YES, it works on windows media player with .wmv file extension. Now I just need to figure out how to reduce the clip size with the Xilisoft program. I guess it's worth paying the $35 to get more than a 5 minute rip, since I have a 25 minute video which I want to capture other parts of, meaning if I pay the money, it will add to the software the option of picking out portions of the video to capture so I can email them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread