can hg go on the wrong side and upside down?

GrayGhost03

Established Member
posting this here too cuz it gets more traffic.

ill make this as short as possible. i blew a hg and pulled the motor, in the process broke a bolt in the crank removing the harmonic balancer. i took the motor to a machine shop to remove the bolt, resurface the heads and while there put the heads on the motor. go it all put back together but was leaking oil and coolant like crazy from the head gasket area. i towed the car to the machine shop to show them the leak. the coolant was leaking as fast as i could pour it in and they agreed there was something wrong. from there i towed it to my tuner so he could diagnose it. motor was pulled and heads removed to reveal the gaskets had been put on the wrong side and upside down. when i called the machine shop and told them they said there was no way that they could be put on wrong. obviously they were but im trying to arm myself with more knowledge so when i go talk to them i can at least not seem like a total idiot and they get out of paying. anyone ever heard of this happening? thanks

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Ask them if "there was no way they could be put in wrong" then how did they get in there wrong, and how come it's leaking like a mofo. They don't have much of a defense on this one.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
My god, this is a prime example of why I do my own work.

Yea they can be put on the wrong way but its pretty hard to do that. It would take a pretty new amateur idiot to do that.

Did they take the dowels out of the block or something?

GrayGhost03

Established Member
My god, this is a prime example of why I do my own work.

Yea they can be put on the wrong way but its pretty hard to do that. It would take a pretty new amateur idiot to do that.

Did they take the dowels out of the block or something?

not that im aware of. the guy that did the work did say he put some type of copper coating on them so i dont know if this covered up any indications of what side gasket it was.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
not that im aware of. the guy that did the work did say he put some type of copper coating on them so i dont know if this covered up any indications of what side gasket it was.

Personally I HATE that copper spray. Every single head gasket I have EVER put that stuff on has leaked.

I know it has to dry properly also.

What is your tuner saying? Why didnt he do the build to begin with?

Its going to be very hard to get that machine shop to fix the problem.

GrayGhost03

Established Member
with rumors of layoffs i decided to do the job myself and save money. i dont have the time to do it again so i had my tuner do it this time.

the machine shop said they would take care of me but it doesnt look that way right now, i hope im wrong

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I have to say I hate to read posts like this it just sucks to have incompetent people destroy things you work hard for. To be honest does it matter if they put the gaskets on wrong. They did the head work and it leaks like a stuck pig their fault their responsibility to fix it. At least that's how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread