Can anyone explain engine firing order and how it impacts the engine sound?

oilwell1415

Established Member
The Viper does not have a 72-degree block? If it is a 90-degree block, then no, it cannot be even-firing. A v-10 (dumb), in a 90-degree block (dumb for a v-10) and odd-firing (dumb but unavoidable if it is a 90-degree block) = dumb engine.

Not sure if that's serious or sarcastic, but no, the Viper does not have a 72 degree block. The original was nothing more than a LA V8 with an extra 2 cylinders cast on the back of it. The more modern versions may be different, but are still 90 degrees. You are correct, absolutely stupid. It could have sounded like an F1 car if they had done it right. Instead, it sounds like a UPS truck with a burnt valve, blown headgasket, and a hole in the muffler.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
oilwell...you have me laughing my testicles off over here. well done sir. well done.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
The term flat plane crank was new to me, so I searched on it and found this article, which makes mention to exhaust note variables:

"Now, the exhaust note of an engine is related to the manifold design, which is related to the firing order, which is related to the cylinder layout and crankshaft design - therefore the sound of flat-plane V8 is usually somewhat like a pair of four-pot engines screaming simultaneously, unlike the rumble of cross-plane V8s. There have been comments like "It doesn't sound like a V8" aimed at the V8 Esprit... but this should really be "It sounds like a Racing V8!" for the reasons explained here. "

Flat Plane Crank

Thanks for that Link!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I was serious. I figured the Viper V10 _had_ to be 72-degrees. I had no idea it was dumber than I thought.

Harry Ricardo must have been spinning in his grave when they tossed that awful engine out the door.

Jim Snover

Not sure if that's serious or sarcastic, but no, the Viper does not have a 72 degree block. The original was nothing more than a LA V8 with an extra 2 cylinders cast on the back of it. The more modern versions may be different, but are still 90 degrees. You are correct, absolutely stupid. It could have sounded like an F1 car if they had done it right. Instead, it sounds like a UPS truck with a burnt valve, blown headgasket, and a hole in the muffler.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
IMHO,,,sound-wise

Cars... 12 > 8 > 6 > 10 > 4
Yes, 10's like in the Viper sound flat, without nice harmonic overtones. The Flat 12 cylinder N/A motor in the 917K had about the most awesome howl on the cam.

Motorcycles... 4 > 3 > 2 (except in Harley's... love that rumpity sound).

Aircraft....Merlins FTW!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread