Can anyone beat the Hypertech tune?

Emil

Established Member
Thinking about getting a tuner and the Hypertech 43hp gain sure is attractive and the price too. Unfortunately it doesn't have the flexibility of the Predator or Superchips products. I may after the warranty expires go with a slight pulley reduction (3.2) and possibly a cat-back exhaust but that would be it. Has anyone had a comparable hp gain with the Predator or Superchips tuners? Anything close?

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I've yet to see a "head to head" out of the box comparision between the 3, but I heard that the SCT, & Predator don't make great #'s with their out of the box tunes. I would assume the Superchips Microtuner would provide the same, or greater hp/tq #'s.

The Superchips Custom tuner (SCT) and the Predator are true tuning devices, so they shouldn't be compared to the "one tune fits all" products.

True_stang

Banned
the tune of a car is not about HP numbers, it is a tool used for safety precautions in most cases, i just got a predator tuner and it makes a big difference in power and it also has everytune quality i need.

hj16

Established Member
Everyone can beat Hypertech. That HorsepowerTV episode was a joke, it was the longest paid advertisement Ive ever seen.

Diablo and SCT are both leaps and bounds better than Hypertech. Just stay away from Hypertech.

hj16

Established Member
Emil, I see you live in Illinois, Im pretty sure you are a member on ChicagoSVT too....ask ANY 03 guy on ChicagoSVT about what tuning software to go with, I bet that NONE of them will tell you to get Hypertech. And especially with that beautiful Mytichrome you dont want to be using third rate goods.

Hank

Emil

Established Member
I know alot of guys don't like Hypertech but basically all you are doing is buying their tune which changes some table parameters. Once it's loaded up the car can't tell who it came from unless I'm missing something here. I'm an engineer so I like to see numbers, the parameters that make the most hp/tq in my book win no matter who they came from.
As far as tuning software, I wish I could but I can't justify the big dollar hit that's why I'm looking for a best bang for the buck deal. Also the cost of getting a dyno tune is high isn't it ($100 minimum)? which you would need to do with the tuning software.
So far what I'm thinking is the SCT package with "over the internet" custom tune would be the only one that would possibly beat the Hypertech and would give me the flexibility of the Superchips tuner. Comments please.
Thanks

lethal

Established Member
I'm an engineer as well. And, in terms of performance, I cannot agree with going for the best bang for the buck. You paid alot for this car, so the additions you make to it should be of good quality.

No matter which tuner you get, go with a dyno session. These cars are awesome, you do not need a terribly agressive tune for the 4 or 5 hp you will get for having a marginal air fuel. No program will be canned enough for every car. It's impossible, we all live in different climates and every car's engine is different.

It is your investment. I chose the Predator and could not be happier. I get the datalogging and all the information I need and can make adjustments. I don't know about they Hypertech. You are correct, you are changing tables (specifically, the WOT tables) and if the tune is not right your engine will let you know it.

A dyno tune will should the numbers, and make sure you have a tuner where you can adjust your a/f. Don't go cheap, it will cost you later.

John

P.S. The over the internet thing, you can do that with the Predator, I would recoomend James. You get what you pay for, his prices are very good, and his tunes and retunes are generally free. Don't get suck with a cheap device, where you have to pay $100 a tune.

Last edited:

Emil

Established Member
the tweecer supports our cars now
Where did you get that information? I checked the Tweecer site and it says nothing about it unless I missed it. Does it still do it by connecting to the PCM port or through OBD?

P.S. The over the internet thing, you can do that with the Predator, I would recoomend James. You get what you pay for, his prices are very good, and his tunes and retunes are generally free. Don't get suck with a cheap device, where you have to pay $100 a tune.
Does anyone have any A/B comparision results from a James tune with just CAI, Exhaust or any combination of them.

Thanks

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Question, does a car run leaner in Cold or hot weather? Is it much of a difference and how important is a summer and winter tune you can switch?

grabhew

Established Member
Tuner

I have the superchips Hp4 tune right out of the box. Their personal tuner had to make me a special tune, because I had the reflash done. My # are 452 HP and 471 TQ. No bad for an out of the box tune and 400 hundred dollars..

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Emil

Established Member
Question, does a car run leaner in Cold or hot weather? Is it much of a difference and how important is a summer and winter tune you can switch?
A car needs to run leaner in hot air because the air is less dense so to keep the proper A/F ratio less fuel is needed. The IAT sensors sense weather conditions and allow the PCM to adjust accordingly.
I have the superchips Hp4 tune right out of the box. Their personal tuner had to make me a special tune, because I had the reflash done. My # are 452 HP and 471 TQ. No bad for an out of the box tune and 400 hundred dollars..
What did you start with before the tune? Unfortunately those numbers don't really mean anything without knowing a before number. I was interested in an at most CAI, exhaust setup.
Thanks anyway.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
Everyone can beat Hypertech. That HorsepowerTV episode was a joke, it was the longest paid advertisement Ive ever seen.

Diablo and SCT are both leaps and bounds better than Hypertech. Just stay away from Hypertech.

Insert nodding smiley here. Apparently that advertising segment, oops I mean TV show, works...

It was so lame.

mavado007

Established Member
Emil,

If your worried about your warranty, I would go with the LFP Reflash tune. It is undetectable by Ford and you can put as many mods as you please. Call Mark at LFP, he can go into some details about it. 1-866-310-0750

Emil

Established Member
What I'm really getting at is I don't know how far I'm going to take this. If I can get 43hp for $330 shouldn't that be the way I should go. It's not like the Hypertech needs to be connected when I'm running the car so the quality of the product should not be a major issue. Why should I settle for 30hp for $400 if I'm not going to use the features?

mavado007

Established Member
Originally posted by mavado007
I have never used Hypertech, but what I have been told with them is that the programmer goes off of your stock settings. What will happen when you put all those mods on your car and your not using stock settings anymore? Or in winter when the air is colder than normal, etc...? Thats why most people go with Diablo because you can tune the car yourself to your specific settings, not the stock settings.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
from the tweecer yahoo group. its through the j3 service port on the ecu. its not an obdII product. obd is slow.

Originally posted by Emil
Where did you get that information? I checked the Tweecer site and it says nothing about it unless I missed it. Does it still do it by connecting to the PCM port or through OBD?

Does anyone have any A/B comparision results from a James tune with just CAI, Exhaust or any combination of them.

Thanks

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by Emil
What I'm really getting at is I don't know how far I'm going to take this. If I can get 43hp for $330 shouldn't that be the way I should go. It's not like the Hypertech needs to be connected when I'm running the car so the quality of the product should not be a major issue. Why should I settle for 30hp for $400 if I'm not going to use the features?
ANY tune/tuner can give you 43rwhp gains on a relatively stock car. Just lean the piss outta it and crank the timing to 24 degrees, is it safe? HELL NO!!! But thats the only way they can lure customers to their shitty product. A Diablo Tune or a SCT tune will easily give you 30rwhp with an Extremely safe tune. And if you need a retune in the future its free. Also, the tech support of Diablo and SCT are EASILY reachable, unlike Hypertech. Almost every Mustang forum in existance has more than a few Diablo and SCT tuners who actively help customers.

**** Hypertech, and **** LFP

Users who are viewing this thread