Can a shifter install be do-able

Polodinks

Established Member
I just bought my hurst shifter for my
Boss 302 can I do the install myself on a pair of car ramps?

Let me know guys thanks

Polodinks

Established Member
I got tools I'm mechanically inclined just didn't know if it's doable on ramps
With room and ground clearance and all

SCalla1384

Established Member
Everyone's spoiled now having lifts or access to lifts. Yes, if u cant do shifter install on jack stands or ramps then u suck

Last edited:

Bloo

Established Member
Very do-able with jack stands and ramps. Took me like an hour to do my barton shifter and bracket.

Voltwings

Established Member
The only thing i recommend is maybe have someone help you with smaller hands. Luckily my girlfriend was there, because i could not fit my hand between the driveshaft and body work to get the bolts in the bracket. Im sure if i had just tried a little harder and cussed a little more i could have, but she got them right in lol. All in all not a hard install though.

ExTurbo

Established Member
get yourself a nice long extension, i bought a 10" and a 3" and it made the install a lot easier. took me a little longer cause i kept having to crawl under the car then back out and back under for various things i forgot. read the install instructions completely before starting, i didnt do this and had to run to the store midway through the install...thank god i had access to another car or i would have been walking lol. definitely not a bad install, doable in under 2 hours

clean92lx

Established Member
The install of the Barton shifter and bracket is easier then installing the MGW shifter because MGW also replaces the junk lower part of the shifter assembly and I did my MGW in my garage on jack stands so yes you can easily install your Barton shifter in jack stands. I don't think you will fit under the car by just driving up on ramps though. Need to get the car as high up on jack stands as possible. Good luck.

SCalla1384

Established Member
The only thing i recommend is maybe have someone help you with smaller hands. Luckily my girlfriend was there, because i could not fit my hand between the driveshaft and body work to get the bolts in the bracket. Im sure if i had just tried a little harder and cussed a little more i could have, but she got them right in lol. All in all not a hard install though.

LOL same here. Was a pain in the ass. I almost dropped the driveshaft, managed to get it though

jpmotorsport

JPMoSpo
Established Member
I installed my 2-post Barton bracket + Steeda Tri-Ax, outside on my friend's driveway with just jackstands and hand tools. Took the whole day but it was definitely do-able...

What will make the job really 'do-able' is having lots of patience and energy ready! Especially when time comes to re-attach the boot... :)

Voltwings

Established Member
I installed my 2-post Barton bracket + Steeda Tri-Ax, outside on my friend's driveway with just jackstands and hand tools. Took the whole day but it was definitely do-able...

What will make the job really 'do-able' is having lots of patience and energy ready! Especially when time comes to re-attach the boot... :)

The rubber dust boot? took mine off about 3 times because i was pretty sure it wasnt going on right before i finally just decided that was as good as it was going to get.

jpmotorsport

JPMoSpo
Established Member
The rubber dust boot? took mine off about 3 times because i was pretty sure it wasnt going on right before i finally just decided that was as good as it was going to get.

Yeah the whole process isn't as straight forward but as long as all the functions work (reverse) with the boot fitted you're fine.

Going over the install until I could pull it off in my sleep helped a ton - there's a lot of video out there outlining an aftermarket shifter install on the MT82. All that support info is the best part about owning this car.

Users who are viewing this thread