can a clutch do this

04cobrafordboiz

High speed Low drag
Established Member
ok well I don't know what the hell but 1st and 2nd pull hard but starting somewhere in the middle of third it stops pulling????wtf it's not belt slip or spark blow-out......can I clutch getting ready to die be the cause? I have a new engine (3,000miles) and what's wierd the old one was doing the same thing? Help!:??:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
do the revs shoot up?

best way to check for a dying clutch is to get in your 1:1 gear (4th) at a low rpm or right in your torque band and go WOT, if it winds up and you go nowhere, it means its done. If it holds and you move forward like normal, its good.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
so the rpm's just stop climbing in 3rd?

is your HE pump working? pop open the HE reservoir at operating temps and if that shits flowing like a river, you are good to go. if its a babbling brook or no flow at all, HE pump is dead. Without it circulating, IAT2's will be insane and ecu will pull rediculous amount of timing.

What plugs/gap? I run NGK TR6 @ .028-.032.

Could be an issue with the tune as well, if all else fails, strap down on a dyno and get it checked out. What tune is in it currently.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
My stock clutch is doing this now...when I get on it hard it spins 1st and 2nd and as soon as I bang 3rd it goes no where and then I smell clutch...guess its time for a spec 3+

03yellow

Established Member
Dont do that!!!
Get a RAM HD
Stay away from any disk or puck clutches!

PS: Ive run them all

My stock clutch is doing this now...when I get on it hard it spins 1st and 2nd and as soon as I bang 3rd it goes no where and then I smell clutch...guess its time for a spec 3+

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Dont do that!!!
Get a RAM HD
Stay away from any disk or puck clutches!

PS: Ive run them all

Havent heard much about the Ram HD, but I have heard alot of good things about spec clutches. Ive also driven a friends cobra with the 3+ and it felt great...

sct12

Established Member
I like the DFX too very light pedal. My friends spec 3 is ok, what problems have there been with these? I got the dual friction, it is great for traffic, just dont know how much power it will handle.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Maybe your clutch cable is toast. I have a Spec 3+ and I went through 2 new stock cables before going with a Steeda. My car was doing the same thing as yours op. You couldn't smell it either. I would have to let completely out of the gas and then refloor it for it to engage correctly. It still doesn't feel right but it seems to be doing fine.

If I was to do it all over again I would get a twin disc in a heartbeat. Breakins for the specs are around 500 to 1,000 miles before they quit chattering. Then all of them don't quit either. I did proper break in on mine and it still chatters after about 1,500 miles. If you can afford it just get a twin disc.

Users who are viewing this thread