Can a bolt on Mach take a bolt on SS

slo-GT

Established Member
I have a friend with a Mach 1 5 speed with o/r H pipe,borla catback, programmer, BFG drag radials and another friend with a 02 SS Automatic with programmer, o/r Y pipe and flowmaster catback and cold air intake. They are planning on having a friendly race soon. Everyone seems to think the LS1 will win. But I think the Mach may suprise them. So with very similar mods can the Mach take the LS1?

Last edited:

alaskablkmach

Established Member
It will be a close race but I think depending on if he can drive he will take him. I raced an SS when I was stock and he had slp lid and LM1 catback and we were pretty even but he would start to pull around 120. But I dynoed 285hp/ 311 trq STOCK!!! But I think he will get him I got faith in mach's!!!

fastmach04

Established Member
I had a mach as well. They are very fast cars, don't be fooled by them. Stock my car was a beast. With only a catback and a tune, my car made 295 rwhp and 312 tq. after the blower, of course it was a different story (448 rwhp/400 tq). With the SS being an auto, I would give a slight favor to the Mach. However, the two cars are so close, it would be a driver's race.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I am very surprised at some responses here.....I give ALOT of credit to LSx Fbods....but two VERY important things that may be over looked....

1) mach has DRs
2) Fbod is an auto on stock gears. Most like has 2.73s

That mach is a low 13sec car with an avg driver. That Fbod is a low-mid 13 car. That mach (in the right hands) is an easy high 12 car.........

Two things...if the mach driver is that incompitent, he'll loose. OR if that programmer has the box tune which will actually be hurting the mach......then the mach won't be as strong as it should.

A4 on street radials<M5 on Drag Radials.

BLAKE 01 WS6

Established Member
A4 on street radials<M5 on Drag Radials.[/QUOTE]

+1

altough, i don't agree with the mid 13 on the f-bod. my 99 t/a a4 3.23 had lid, hpp3, borla, nitto's and was a VERY consistant 12.8-12.9 car. the ss is also an 02' so it is a 325hp version. my friend also has a 00' z28 a4 2.73 lid, cutout, stock tires runs a 13.2-13.3

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
I am very surprised at some responses here.....I give ALOT of credit to LSx Fbods....but two VERY important things that may be over looked....

1) mach has DRs

That mach is a low 13sec car with an avg driver. That Fbod is a low-mid 13 car. That mach (in the right hands) is an easy high 12 car.........

Two things...if the mach driver is that incompitent, he'll loose. OR if that programmer has the box tune which will actually be hurting the mach......then the mach won't be as strong as it should.

I completely agree with you.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Beware if the F-body has an aftermarket converter....done correctly, those things are BRUTAL from a dig.

yinks281

Banned
ponygt65 said:

1) mach has DRs

I don't know they were geared so low, I always thought the auto came w/ 3.27 and the sticks came w/ 3.42's

BLAKE 01 WS6

Established Member
yup auto's had the 2.73 or the "performance" 3.23 ratio.
all m6's came with 3.42's, and the first gear in the t56 had a 2.66 ratio :xpl: .
a mach has 3.55 rear axle w/3.31 first gear

Silver95

Established Member
For what its worth, i hear that a minor minor bolt on LS1 (exhaust/intake) can break into 12's?

Is this the same case with the mach 1's or does it take more work to get them into there?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Silver95 said:
For what its worth, i hear that a minor minor bolt on LS1 (exhaust/intake) can break into 12's?

Is this the same case with the mach 1's or does it take more work to get them into there?

the mach 1 can break into the 12's with tires only. 13.1/13.2 stock, high 12's with tires. but as said before the driver and track prep can make or break a run.

ls1 auto vs a mach 1 5 speed is a great race, and a good way to tell if your shifting correctly. the mach 1 will win if they can shift, and lose if they cant.

follow the link in this thread.http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51517

the guy in the vid is a friend of mine, who drives the hell out of his mach 1.:pepper: :beer:

04mach1racer

Established Member
i also have a mach 1 5spd with similar mods and one the guys at my body shop has a 02 ss LS1 he has the 6spd. we both run 12.7 12.8s its a close race everytime. just depends who can get out the hole i usually win 9 out of 10 times bc i have 410s and drs. i get the jump at the hole and just start rippin gears. i say pick the mach 1 if he can speed shift the car

BLAKE 01 WS6

Established Member
04mach1racer i also have a mach 1 5spd with similar mods and one the guys at my body shop has a 02 ss LS1 he has the 6spd. we both run 12.7 12.8s its a close race everytime. just depends who can get out the hole i usually win 9 out of 10 times bc i have 410s and drs. i get the jump at the hole and just start rippin gears. i say pick the mach 1 if he can speed shift the car

what gear/tires does the ss have? 4.x is a great gear for a m6, i have 4.11's and still turn under 2k rpm@70mph

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
BLAKE 01 WS6 said:
+1

altough, i don't agree with the mid 13 on the f-bod. my 99 t/a a4 3.23 had lid, hpp3, borla, nitto's and was a VERY consistant 12.8-12.9 car. the ss is also an 02' so it is a 325hp version. my friend also has a 00' z28 a4 2.73 lid, cutout, stock tires runs a 13.2-13.3
COme on blake, you know more than I......the SS and Z are the same thing. Actually, the SS tends to weigh more. All 00+ LSx dyno ~300 RWHP.:beer:

Your friend that has the 00 and ran 13.2 has similar mods as the one that the OP is refering to. So...I think we are saying the same things. :beer:

BLAKE 01 WS6

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
COme on blake, you know more than I......the SS and Z are the same thing. Actually, the SS tends to weigh more. All 00+ LSx dyno ~300 RWHP.:beer:

Your friend that has the 00 and ran 13.2 has similar mods as the one that the OP is refering to. So...I think we are saying the same things. :beer:

the 01'-02' cars came with a different cam and ls6 intake, so they make a little(10-15rwhp) more than the 98'-00' cars. plus a programmer does alot for the auto cars, i picked up .3 tenths on my 99' auto. i would expect the car we are reffering to to be faster than my buddies lid/cutout 00' (being at a good track/weather of course) because his z28 is fully loaded, t-tops, 17" zr1's, prolly a pretty heavy car. regardless the other car is a m5 and has bfg drags, so he should take him outta the hole and stay there.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
BLAKE 01 WS6 said:
the 01'-02' cars came with a different cam and ls6 intake, so they make a little(10-15rwhp) more than the 98'-00' cars. plus a programmer does alot for the auto cars, i picked up .3 tenths on my 99' auto. i would expect the car we are reffering to to be faster than my buddies lid/cutout 00' (being at a good track/weather of course) because his z28 is fully loaded, t-tops, 17" zr1's, prolly a pretty heavy car. regardless the other car is a m5 and has bfg drags, so he should take him outta the hole and stay there.
My bad..I was thinking the 00-02s had the LS6 intake. Thanks for clarifying:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread