Has any one installed these?

-M-6550-M50BEXH
*13mm Lift - 290 Duration

-M-6550-M50BINT
*13mm Lift - 263 Duration

Stock on the Boss I hear is:
-M-6550-M50BR
*13mm lift and 263 duration

I'm planning on starting some mods to my LS soon, and want to stay N/A and make 500whp. All the threads I am seeing people definitely prefer the easy way. I don't see why 500whp can't be reached if AM got 440whp with full exhaust/intake/tb/tune. Now to locate that last 60... :read:

I saw this when I was trying to find out the tech specs on the Boss
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...s_LS_Specs.pdf

Is this incorrect as far as the cam profiles?

I was reading an article in 5.0 about the new CJ and saw this:
"We tested some camshafts. The original Boss program had a 13mm-lift intake cam. That was pulled out of the program and they went back to a 12mm, so it's a common intake cam. We kept the original Boss intake cam in the Cobra Jet and we're going to offer it for sale in the catalog. We're using the stock Boss 260-duration intake cam, and then we are using a 290-duration exhaust cam that we developed with the mainstream guys. We're selling that cam as well," Robert explained

Read more: Cobra Jet 5.0 Engine - Coyote Jet - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Kind of confused as to what cams are actually in the car after seeing all this
headscratch.gif

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Established Member
I would like to do this too. I haven't called Ford Racing yet to see if they provide cam timing tables for easier tuning. Long tubes and that duration should provide great power..

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Has any after market tuner been able to take advantage of variable cam timing yet? Every aftermarket cam for the Coyote requires locking the cam...

In addition to the aforementioned bolt ons, I think pistons, fuel system upgrade, and e85 are a more realistic solution at this time. You could probably get away with compression as high as 13.5:1 with e85.

Rebel302

Established Member
I would like to do this too. I haven't called Ford Racing yet to see if they provide cam timing tables for easier tuning. Long tubes and that duration should provide great power..

From the article about the new 5.0 CJ, these are the cams that were used...and check this out from the article

"Though the 13mm-lift exhaust cam (PN M-6550-M50BEXH) fell out of the production Boss 302 program, it was eagerly adopted by the Ford Racing team for the Cobra Jet 5.0. These cams are maximized via the use of long-tube headers, and in the case of the NA CJ they added 20 hp to the bottom line"

Has any after market tuner been able to take advantage of variable cam timing yet? Every aftermarket cam for the Coyote requires locking the cam...

In addition to the aforementioned bolt ons, I think pistons, fuel system upgrade, and e85 are a more realistic solution at this time. You could probably get away with compression as high as 13.5:1 with e85.

Well, being that the nearest station to me that sells e85 is a little over 30 mins away, that isn't a realistic solution for me.

And if you check out the article about the new 5.0 CJ I posted, they started with the Boss motor and worked it from there. The cams/intake manifold/tb are available from Ford Racing as upgrades to make more power. The pistons in the Boss are already Mahle forged aluminum

Some excerpts:

The one about the cams is above ^^

The CJ intake manifold:
"Horse Sense: Ford Racing will offer the naturally aspirated Cobra Jet intake as an individual part and it looks to provide a significant horsepower gain over even the vaunted Boss 302 intake manifold."

I'm definitely doing some research and asking questions before I start. But with the info available, it looks like borrowing a few items froms the new CJ is going to get me exactly what I'm looking for.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Well, being that the nearest station to me that sells e85 is a little over 30 mins away, that isn't a realistic solution for me.
If you want to squeeze every horsepower out of your motor then it's silly not to run the corn juice...you're leaving 20-30 hp on the table right there.

And if you check out the article about the new 5.0 CJ I posted, they started with the Boss motor and worked it from there. The cams/intake manifold/tb are available from Ford Racing as upgrades to make more power. The pistons in the Boss are already Mahle forged aluminum.

I've read that article several times....I have that issue in my night stand. You don't understand my comment. Let me explain.

You have an ECU programmed for the variable cam timing specific to the Boss 302 OEM cam. How are you going to get a tune for the upgraded exhaust cam? What aftermarket tuning company has been able to accomplish variable cam timing tunes? As it stands, Ford does not offer a tune for the upgraded exhaust cam in their Ford Racing Catalog....if you lock the VCT (which is what aftermarket tuners are doing) then you are giving up a huge chunk of TQ.

You also don't understand my comment about the pistons. Bumping the compression on a naturally aspirated engine is a sure fire way to increase hp. It make no sense to go all out NA and keep 11.0:1 compression.

Rebel302

Established Member
If you want to squeeze every horsepower out of your motor then it's silly not to run the corn juice...you're leaving 20-30 hp on the table right there..

Its not about just saying no to using it, if I have to drive over 30 mins to get gas...thats not reasonable for me....I do understand what you are saying though about the power I could make using it

[/QUOTE]I've read that article several times....I have that issue in my night stand. You don't understand my comment. Let me explain.

You have an ECU programmed for the variable cam timing specific to the Boss 302 OEM cam. How are you going to get a tune for the upgraded exhaust cam? What aftermarket tuning company has been able to accomplish variable cam timing tunes? As it stands, Ford does not offer a tune for the upgraded exhaust cam in their Ford Racing Catalog....if you lock the VCT (which is what aftermarket tuners are doing) then you are giving up a huge chunk of TQ. [/QUOTE]

JPC has made it work for them did they not and didn't give up a huge chunk of torque. Of course it wasn't a Boss, but I would think the main portion of this comment is about tuning by locking the VCT
507rwhp
480 torque

I'd be pretty happy with that considering my goal is 500 rwhp

[/QUOTE]You also don't understand my comment about the pistons. Bumping the compression on a naturally aspirated engine is a sure fire way to increase hp. It make no sense to go all out NA and keep 11.0:1 compression.[/QUOTE]

I did misunderstand you there...my apologies.

Last edited:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
JPC has made it work for them did they not and didn't give up a huge chunk of torque. Of course it wasn't a Boss, but I would think the main portion of this comment is about tuning by locking the VCT
507rwhp
480 torque

I'd be pretty happy with that considering my goal is 500 rwhp
Do you have more info or a link to JPC's build? I believe that is a complete long block package, correct? In the article you posted, the Ford engineers refer to aftermarket companies having to lock out the VCT to run different cam set ups....there is no way to lock out VCT and not give up something. Usually this something is low end power in favor of peak hp. In a street car or even a road race car, midrange is where it's at. Peak hp is for drag racing and dyno queens...IMHO.

I did misunderstand you there...my apologies.
no worries:beer:

Rebel302

Established Member
This is the JPC package
"TOP DOG" JPC 2011 COYOTE 500HP PACKAGE

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/754282-jpc-makes-507-7-rwhp-na.html

On another note.....This guy did his own thing and also got what I'm looking for. From what I'm gathering he had to do, he had to do what the Boss mostly already has.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-522-rwhp-naturally-aspirated-2011-5-0-a.html

I'm thinking with those CJ cams/CJ Intake & TB/Full Kook's/ and tune.....I should get pretty close if not on the money

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Established Member
I would like to have the 12 to 1 or more compression to help in the tq department. I dont want to worry about octane though.The intake,cam, ect will add great power to the 5-8k RANGE, right where I want it with the gears I have. The larger intake track will no-doubt hurt the low end, but with the vct working and not limited I think TQ wouldn't suffer as much. Question, will Ford provide any vct tables with the upgrades cams so its easier to tune and less time consuming. Above all else, ptv clearances would be a concern too if vct is functioning.

Users who are viewing this thread