Camshaft Replacement Question

SuperG

Established Member
Well, the cam roller follower in Cylinder #6 popped off again. I took the car to another shop and their opinion (after removing the valve cover) is that the cam needs replacing due to excessive wear on the lobes. Apparently the amount of metal that has shaved off the lobes over time is too much change in tolerance resulting in the follower popping off.

First, what do you think of that opinion? Second, if you agree the cam needs replacing, then I am curious about whether to go with a stock cam or an aftermarket cam? And if an aftermarket cam, which one and why?

If I go OEM, then I'll replace both cams on the driver's side, along with the incidentals associated with the cams...if I go aftermarket with different lobes, then I'll go ahead and replace all of them.

21830450060_large.jpg

21830450061_large.jpg

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
my valve spring looks lower or that the valve not coming up all the way..I just replaced the lash adjuster and the follower stayed on but taps alittle bit...the engine shop i brought the part at says that the supercharged engine uses a larger/longer adjuster than non/supercharged 4.6..he didn`t have any in stock so i took the 4.6 one he had..ford says that they are the same..

SuperG

Established Member
Are you saying you lost a follower, too, but rather than replace the cam you replaced the adjuster? But now it sounds like you have a tapping going on?

hotcobra03

Established Member
yes

i did look closer at you pic and i see 2 followers are off..and 2 different cylinders

how many miles are on your engine?

hotcobra03

Established Member
it costed me like 4 bucks for a new lash adjuster,,,i do all my own repairs and this is my daily driver...imo i cant see the cam causing this...is your car still apart?

SuperG

Established Member
Nah, just one cylinder...the pic's angles are probably just throwing it off. The car is still apart, so maybe I'll do the same thing as what you did. Do you have a pic of what the adjuster looks like, or cirlce it on my pic? I am afraid I am an idiot when it comes to these thing!!

hotcobra03

Established Member
sorry but im greek to computers to sent a pic but the follower sits on top of the lash adjuster and the valve

hotcobra03

Established Member
i also see your from houston,poteet is right next to san antiono....i dealt with a company here in san antiono...call a good engine rebuilder thier,,this seems to be common with 4.6 engines..the valve and spring is on one end and the lash-adjuster is on the other...the lash adjuster pumps up with oil to take up the play and holds the roller follower in place...i feel that its most likely a bent valve or a worn valve spring causing this to happen....im gonna call the engine place again and get another adjuster and a new follower...i think the valve spring can be changed in the car without removing the head. i got 214,ooo miles what u got?

SuperG

Established Member
I thought I recognized the city! Well, I just called my guy, and he is sure the adjuster is not the problem in my case. One thing I am making certain however, the old cam's lobes are measured so that I know for certain there is enough metal loss that it was the culprit.

I'll certainly post the results!

hotcobra03

Established Member
imo the cam shaft wear would be visable...the lash adjuster pumps up like a jack u need to look at what changed a quarter to a half inch....try to pull off one of the other followers by hand or a small screwdriver and than u will understand..followers just dont fall off these cams should outlast the engine

Users who are viewing this thread