Cams????

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Who's got aftermarket cams, and how were the gains? Very little info on this out there. I am just planning my motor build which will happen sooner than later, and would love to go with some different cams. Just doesn't seem many people are doing this. Rightfully so, by the time you buy the cams and have them installed, you could probably buy a blower!:banana:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Scott, MM&FF or 5.0 mustang and super ford(cant remember which) Just had an artical about gaining something like 83whp with a set of comp cams on an otherwise stock coyote. Might give them a call.

mjohns930

Established Member
In the November 2012 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords they did an install of a whole bunch of NA bolt-ons to 2012 GT. One of the additions was Comp Cams Stage 3 camshafts. The cams gained 58 hp and 17 lb-ft on top of the gains they already got from a JLT CAI, Boss intake, bigger TB, and full exhaust. They gained 107 hp and 75 lb-ft with all the upgrades listed over stock.

You are right though with the cams being expensive and not really a very worthwhile upgrade, especially if the car is mostly stock. A blower or even some nitrous is a much better investment. If you are looking for max NA power and have done everything else, then cams might be the next step.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DTL

Established Member
I read the same article in 5.0 and Super Fords, but one thing that needs to be pointed out is that ALL the gains were over 5500rpm. Depending on how and where you drive the car, that kind of power may not be for you.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
For this motor, noticing the gains from the cams will only be in the higher RPM range. In my opinion, they're worth it. But as said before, depends on how you drive and what you want.

alex12gt

Established Member
Jpc does regrinds that are half the price of the comp cams and i think beefcake may be running them

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
To me there is not a mod worth it unless it gives a boost throughout the ENTIRE rpm band! No sense to me in giving up lower end power just to gain a few extra up top.

Just my Opinion....

atistang

Established Member
In the November 2012 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords they did an install of a whole bunch of NA bolt-ons to 2012 GT. One of the additions was Comp Cams Stage 3 camshafts. The cams gained 58 hp and 17 lb-ft on top of the gains they already got from a JLT CAI, Boss intake, bigger TB, and full exhaust. They gained 107 hp and 75 lb-ft with all the upgrades listed over stock.

You are right though with the cams being expensive and not really a very worthwhile upgrade, especially if the car is mostly stock. A blower or even some nitrous is a much better investment. If you are looking for max NA power and have done everything else, then cams might be the next step.

Hope this helps.

I noticed a few of the boltons actually lost power

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
What happens to the variable valve timing when going with aftermarket cams? I see Brenspeed says they require a phaser limiter kit. Does all adjustability go away or is it actually just a limiter providing a reduciton in adjustability?

Users who are viewing this thread